• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

15lbs of pepper bacon

meddling kids

Meat Mopper
Joined Mar 14, 2011
We were running low on bacon so it was time to stock up. I went on vacation to Hawaii but before I left I put a belly in Pop's brine. Two weeks later I pulled it out, covered in coarse black pepper and smoked for 36 hours with Apple dust in my amnps. I also through a bunch of cheese in with it. Here's a few pics:

woodcutter

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 2, 2012
Looks great! I've been trying to find away to make the brine time go faster and I think you nailed it by going to Hawaii. Alaska would probably work as well.

leah elisheva

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 19, 2013
Wow! That's wild how you do it all so authentically yourself! Impressive stuff! Cheers! - Leah

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Nice looking Bacon!!!

Nice Job!!

I wouldn't mind spending a week in Hawaii.

The 54 weeks I spent there in '69 and '70 was just TOO long.

I'll take the mountains before the beaches.

Bear

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
I must say that is fine looking bacon. I have yet to try pepper bacon. Does the pepper flavour get right into the meat?

Disco

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Nice looking bacon! Last batch I did we went to Kauai! Best way to kill the wait!

meddling kids

Meat Mopper
Joined Mar 14, 2011
Thanks everyone. We went to Kauai as well this time. I love the pepper bacon. It gets just enough pepper flavor into the meat and the pepper holds the smoke flavor too. Really good chopped into chunks and cooked with potatoes. My wife loves sweet stuff. Last time I made maple and pepper and she was surprised to find she liked the pepper flavor better.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.