15lb LEM stuffer motorised?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

captmoby

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
Kansas, BVI's
My motor on my stuffer went off to college.

Has anybody out there put a motor on on a LEM 15lb stuffer and if so how did you do it?

Any thoughts?

Hello captmoby.  Here is my opinion for what it is worth.  Others may have different advice.  This is only my opinion.  I have not added a motor to a slicer but I am pretty handy with my hands.  I would think mounting the slicer to piece of ply, a couple of pulleys , an old working washing machine motor, a lighting dimmer switch for speed control and a V belt should be a good place to start.  You may need to try a couple different size pulleys if the grinder is still to fast or slow.  Hope it helps.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Danny, He is talking about motorizing this Stuffer...JJ

606ss2.jpg

Hello Chef JJ.  Thanks.  I should have looked at the stuffer first.  I believe my idea is still sound.  Depending on metal working skills.  The handle could also be taken to a machine shop to have them put a shaft on the handle, opposite side of the gear drive and then proceed with the pulleys and motor.  Looking at the size of the gear drive, the pulley sizing might be tricky so as to achieve enough torque but not run the stuffer too fast.  A simple push button on/off could be put into the power cord before the dimmer switch and operated with your foot to start/stop the stuffer. If you don't have the electrical skills get a trained electrician to do the wiring as there is always some degree of moisture involved when processing food.   Just some ideas to mull over.  Keep us posted captmoby and let us know what you come up with.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Hello Chef JJ.  Thanks.  I should have looked at the stuffer first.  I believe my idea is still sound.  Depending on metal working skills.  The handle could also be taken to a machine shop to have them put a shaft on the handle, opposite side of the gear drive and then proceed with the pulleys and motor.  Looking at the size of the gear drive, the pulley sizing might be tricky so as to achieve enough torque but not run the stuffer too fast.  A simple push button on/off could be put into the power cord before the dimmer switch and operated with your foot to start/stop the stuffer. If you don't have the electrical skills get a trained electrician to do the wiring as there is always some degree of moisture involved when processing food.   Just some ideas to mull over.  Keep us posted captmoby and let us know what you come up with.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny
That would be an interesting project. There is a short shaft on the gear that the handle goes on to. I guess a skilled Machinist could probably extend it but Metal working is way out of my skill set...JJ

Hello captmoby.  Just had another thought to fuel the fire of your imagination.  I did a quick search on that well known auction site and found you can still find working sewing machine foot pedals.  That would take the place of the dimmer switch and the on/off switch and probably give greater control.  Just some ideas off the top of my head.  Another cold rainy day in England so no smoking for me.  Too much time on my hands.  Maybe I should take up knitting? 
icon_biggrin.gif
  Keep Smokin!

Danny

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky