15 lb pork butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Exactly!!
I clean my probes with a sponge, but then just before I insert them at about 3 hours in, I wipe them with an Alcohol wipe.
Some say "You worry too much". I say "what's the hurry, it's not hard work sterilizing the probes!!"

Bear

Utterly agree Bear! It's a 10 second procedure!! Not like we're doing pre flight checks for a jet liner!

Thank you all for helping me out. I ending up starting around 10 pm Friday night and took it off yesterday around 1 pm. Let it rest in the cooler for an hour or so and everyone loved it. They loved the North Carolina style sauce that I made also.

I am from New Jersey, and BBQ here isn’t taken very seriously. A lot of people couldn’t believe that I stayed up through the night just to “cook some meat”. The BBQ around here is burgers dogs and maybe chicken wings. Rarely would someone do a rack of ribs, but even if they did, they wouldn’t even smoke them. All the stores sell is gas grills and most people don’t even understand the simple concept of the smoker.

So obviously it’s not in my culture, but I thoroughly enjoy smoking meats as a hobby and the lifestyle that comes along with it. I have plans to upgrade my smoker next year so before I can do that I’m going to need your help to master brisket, different rubs and sauces, and I really want to get into making my own jerky.

Thank you all

Attachments

• CC4AC750-CAF9-45EA-BCED-B4956F5A92D8.jpeg
    CC4AC750-CAF9-45EA-BCED-B4956F5A92D8.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 663B8978-3B5A-428E-A5A4-7A2ED33B75CE.jpeg
    663B8978-3B5A-428E-A5A4-7A2ED33B75CE.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 44
I'm glad it went well and every one enjoyed it!

I'm from WI and it's only now starting to gain traction that BBQ is not grilling. I think the culture is slowly reaching out, even into Europe more and more. I'm glad it is and I hope you can learn and in turn, teach plenty here :)

Reactions: Zacknes96
Thank you all for helping me out. I ending up starting around 10 pm Friday night and took it off yesterday around 1 pm. Let it rest in the cooler for an hour or so and everyone loved it. They loved the North Carolina style sauce that I made also.

I am from New Jersey, and BBQ here isn’t taken very seriously. A lot of people couldn’t believe that I stayed up through the night just to “cook some meat”. The BBQ around here is burgers dogs and maybe chicken wings. Rarely would someone do a rack of ribs, but even if they did, they wouldn’t even smoke them. All the stores sell is gas grills and most people don’t even understand the simple concept of the smoker.

So obviously it’s not in my culture, but I thoroughly enjoy smoking meats as a hobby and the lifestyle that comes along with it. I have plans to upgrade my smoker next year so before I can do that I’m going to need your help to master brisket, different rubs and sauces, and I really want to get into making my own jerky.

Thank you all

That Butt looks Great, Zack!!
That's pretty much the way it is around here in SouthEast PA too!
Stick around--You can learn plenty here, and help teach in your area.
Like.

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: Zacknes96
So when I thawed the meat and opened my package, it fell apart into two separate butts. So now I am wondering what time to start. Do I cook it as if it’s two 8 lb butts or do I have to still do 1.5-2 hours a lb
Zack take one butt when done ...cut chunks off it. Make an egg milk wash .then put chunks in flour and corn meal mix . .deep fry it ...when done ..make pico de gallo with agucate . Er avocado add lime to it ..heat up a good Flour Tortilla ....That right there is some good eatin Son ..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky