14.5 WSM deflection plate

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

motocrash

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 25, 2017
Winchester,Va
Just made this today to be tested after T-day. .25 x 11.5 (same diameter as water bowl) covered in foil already. I know the mini builders use something like this.I'll report back after using.
KIMG0145.jpg

Last edited:
Decided to take foil off and acid etched-de rusted with phosphoric acid bath.I then seasoned it like CI but I used Crisco instead of flax seed oil (that stuffs expensive) since its gonna have fire breathing on one side.The seasoning seems to have held up well after first burn.Temp changes are faster but gradual and easy to control without overshooting either way.In summation -I like it.

Bill

I need to look into doin this .
I cut it then chamfered /rounded the edges until smooth then seasoned as noted above.Easy peasy.If the seasoning doesn't hold up I'll just cover it with foil instead of reseasoning.Would be cool to get a hold some scrap stainless and do it.

Old school huh.I had an '83 CR 125 it was a good bike.Whatcha got ? I know some guys that restore old bikes...

Looks good I stopped using my water pan after the second cook.
I use an aluminum pot lid.
100_4037.JPG

Thanks for the idea Richie, I just measured and I just happen to have an aluminum pot lid the right size, so I'll just have to try it (lots of justs, there). I really don't like the water bowl!

Thanks for the idea Richie, I just measured and I just happen to have an aluminum pot lid the right size, so I'll just have to try it (lots of justs, there). I really don't like the water bowl!
Cover it with foil when you do
Richie

Update: After a month and a half and many cooks,the plate is working very well.I won't remove it but to scrape it every couple weeks.The seasoning is holding up perfect,temp holds great and is easily regulated :cool:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky