• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

120gal build

titch--

Joined Aug 8, 2021
Hello smoker enthusiasts! New guy here. As you can tell with this post Im looking at building a RF Smoker and thought I should start my slow azz build thread so that if I had any questions, which I will and do already. This would be the spot to ask em. :)

Ive had the 120gal tank in my backyard for a couple years now and Im not going to lie, Ive already cut into this tank recently. I cut out my door and FB to CC opening already. Went pretty good so far, but one thing that concerns me is now I might of cut my FB/CC opening to big.

Before I found this place I played around with that other calculator thats talked about here, but not used because it sounds like its not ideal for a RF smoker builds. But now Im playing around with the "Reverse Flow Smoker... How to calculate build tutorial..." which you guys recommend.

Ive been reading a couple other builds with 120gal tanks here already and mostly copying off of. Woody and I think Rex is the other build.

120gal - 27720 cu/in
FB - 9147.6 min
FB/CC opening - 110.88
under RF plate - 110.88
end of RF plate - 110.88
stack (with collector) - 609.84 (was thinking 5" x 36") confused on how to calculate that right now
FB air inlets - 27.72 was doing 3 x 7 x2 on sides, but now going with ovals top/bottom of FB door

circle calc.png

fd5975a8-572c-40e3-8278-dc3f26c15ae7.jpg

FB 28w x 20h x 20d OD 11200 cu/in (what Im looking at right now)
FB/CC opening approx 26 x 8 149.81 (cut out already)

Anything look way out to lunch here so far?

So this is where Im currently at right now. The concern being my FB/CC inlet. I think if I had to, I could cut off a inch or two from the peice I already cut off and weld it back onto the tank or do I just adjust everything now to approx 149.81? Cause I see woody's numbers for this is 24.458 x 6.454

thanks a bunches
cheers

Last edited:

JLeonard

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 17, 2020
Welcome to the forums from Mississippi. Look forward to more pics of your build.

Jim

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Welcome to SMF!
Check this out!
Al

titch--

Joined Aug 8, 2021
Hey guys thanks for the replys

Thanks for the link but Ive been through the threads and I still have a question.

According to tutorial my FB to CC opening should be about 110 cu in, but with me prematurely cutting mine to 149. Now Im just wondering if I just keep on going with the 149 for under my RF plate and the opening at the end of the RF plate or is it just easier to cut some off the piece Ive already cut out and weld it back onto the tank so Im more closer to 110?

cheers

LanceR

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 1, 2012
Good morning, titch and welcome from North Carolina. Where are you at?

As I understand things the size of the firebox to cook chamber opening generated through the calculator is a minimum size recommendation. I'm unaware of a larger opening causing issues but the lower exit velocity may be an issue or may not be so hopefully someone better versed than me comes along to address the concern.

Good luck and best regards,

titch--

Joined Aug 8, 2021
Hey Lance thanks for the reply

Im up in Canada

That min size recommendation sounds like good news. :) Hopefully some others will chime in.

I know if I cut 1" off the cut off piece the opening would put me around 124 sq in and cutting 1.5" would drop me down 111.74. I dont think Im in a hurry now since the guy thats going to cut everything for me on his plasma table is a farmer and looks like hes very busy now, so I might not be getting this done this year now. :(

cheers

Last edited:

LanceR

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 1, 2012
That was just a semi-educated guess but the 120 gallon tank surely falls into the "short and fat" category and likely would work well with a smaller opening than the calculator would indicate so perhaps a private message to Dave Omak would get some info as to whether the opening should be adjusted.

Best regards,

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.