12-14lb rump roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smoking at 4am

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 23, 2021
Western Massachusetts
I was given a very large cut of meat that I believe to be a rump roast. Am I correct?
16192409951246792110227109834862.jpg
Everything I've read says to smoke for 1/2 hour per lbs, is this correct? I feel like it should be in the smoker for longer than 6-7 hours. I need it done for around 4pm or 5pm and was thinking to get it on the smoker between 4am and 6am.

Reactions: JLeonard
What's your goal?

If Med/Rare 130°F Finished IT?
Then 30 per pound at 225°F, is about right. When the IT hits 120°F, pull it out, tent with foil and Counter Rest 30 minute before slicing.

If Pulled Beef or Well Done Sliced Beef is your goal, then figure 1.5 hours per Pound at 225°F until the IT hits around 200°F+/-5°...AND...Your Thermometer Probe slides in, everywhere, with no resistance.
Again, rest on the counter 30 and carve. Or, Counter Rest 15 minutes, double wrap with foil, towel wrap and cooler rest 1 up to 4 hours.
Slice or Pull the Well Done Beef and serve.

Personally, I would probably shoot for Med/Rare and slice as thin as you possibly could and serve Au Jus...JJ

Smokey Au Jus
1- Lg Onion,
4-5 Carrots,
3-4 Ribs Celery
3-4 Peeled Cloves of Garlic

Toss them in a pan under the Beef, and let the whole deal Smoke for one hour,

THEN add 4-6 Cups Beef Broth,

2 Tbs Tomato Paste,
1/2tsp Dry Thyme (4-5 sprigs Fresh)
1-2 ea Bayleaf

Finish the Smoking process to the IT you want.

While the Roast is resting, dump the pan juices veggies and all into a 2-3Qt Sauce pot and add 1Cup Red Wine, something you like to drink, and bring the Jus to a boil, lower the heat and simmer 20-30 minutes. Strain out the veggies and let the Jus rest a minute or so for the Fat to rise. Skim off the bulk of the fat then using strips of paper towel laid on top of the Jus, drag quickly across to take off the last little bit of fat.

The purpose of Smoking the Vegetable for 1 hour before adding the Broth and Herbs is...The Smoked vegetables Roast in the Dry heat concentrating their Flavors and Sweetness giving the finished Jus a Richer, Deeper, Full Flavor.

Serve the sliced Beef Au Jus or thicken the Jus to make Gravy.

NOTE: If you are using this recipe with Brisket or a long smoke, additional Water will have to be added periodically to maintain the proper volume. Do not add more Broth as repeated addition and reduction will make the Au Jus too salty..

130° is what I'm going for, slice it up and serve. The Au Jus sounds amazing, I'll give that a try. Thanks for helping me not finish hours ahead of time lol. I'll post some pictures when it's all finished. Thanks JJ.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
After eating I'll definitely do more towards rare next time. Came out super tender with a little bit of pull. The Au Jus was a hit. Thanks for everything everyone...4am

Forgot to post this picture. I used a deli slicer and turned the leftovers into roast beef. The sandwiches were amazing...and I was full after slicing everything lol.
20210427_151258.jpg

What's your goal?

If Med/Rare 130°F Finished IT?
Then 30 per pound at 225°F, is about right. When the IT hits 120°F, pull it out, tent with foil and Counter Rest 30 minute before slicing.

If Pulled Beef or Well Done Sliced Beef is your goal, then figure 1.5 hours per Pound at 225°F until the IT hits around 200°F+/-5°...AND...Your Thermometer Probe slides in, everywhere, with no resistance.
Again, rest on the counter 30 and carve. Or, Counter Rest 15 minutes, double wrap with foil, towel wrap and cooler rest 1 up to 4 hours.
Slice or Pull the Well Done Beef and serve.

Personally, I would probably shoot for Med/Rare and slice as thin as you possibly could and serve Au Jus...JJ

Smokey Au Jus
1- Lg Onion,
4-5 Carrots,
3-4 Ribs Celery
3-4 Peeled Cloves of Garlic

Toss them in a pan under the Beef, and let the whole deal Smoke for one hour,

THEN add 4-6 Cups Beef Broth,

2 Tbs Tomato Paste,
1/2tsp Dry Thyme (4-5 sprigs Fresh)
1-2 ea Bayleaf

Finish the Smoking process to the IT you want.

While the Roast is resting, dump the pan juices veggies and all into a 2-3Qt Sauce pot and add 1Cup Red Wine, something you like to drink, and bring the Jus to a boil, lower the heat and simmer 20-30 minutes. Strain out the veggies and let the Jus rest a minute or so for the Fat to rise. Skim off the bulk of the fat then using strips of paper towel laid on top of the Jus, drag quickly across to take off the last little bit of fat.

The purpose of Smoking the Vegetable for 1 hour before adding the Broth and Herbs is...The Smoked vegetables Roast in the Dry heat concentrating their Flavors and Sweetness giving the finished Jus a Richer, Deeper, Full Flavor.

Serve the sliced Beef Au Jus or thicken the Jus to make Gravy.

NOTE: If you are using this recipe with Brisket or a long smoke, additional Water will have to be added periodically to maintain the proper volume. Do not add more Broth as repeated addition and reduction will make the Au Jus too salty..
I've got to try this!!! QUESTION: I've got a small <2 lb rump, some chucks, and some briskets - what would be best to work with (going for the 130 IT w/Au Jus) ??

Rump is good at 130. That one is a bit small, but if smoked at 225 to an IT of 110, rest 15-20 minutes, the Sear to 120. You should be good. Chuck can go either, as above or smoked to probe tender like the Brisket...JJ

Rump is good at 130. That one is a bit small, but if smoked at 225 to an IT of 110, rest 15-20 minutes, the Sear to 120. You should be good. Chuck can go either, as above or smoked to probe tender like the Brisket...JJ
Thanks a lot JJ - suggested thread on SMF or otherwise for doing Chucks to probe tender (pulled beef)?

Thanks a lot JJ - suggested thread on SMF or otherwise for doing Chucks to probe tender (pulled beef)?

Here you go...JJ

I've got to try this!!! QUESTION: I've got a small <2 lb rump, some chucks, and some briskets - what would be best to work with (going for the 130 IT w/Au Jus) ??
Hi there and welcome!

I think you are in good hands here.

The rump you can do lust like suggested and just as the guy did in this post.

The brisket is definitely not a cut you would do this with, simply too tough.
Chuck I feel would be too tough as well but I cook way way less chuck than I do brisket. I would imagine a chuck would also be tough if cooked this way.

I do all chucks and briskets until they are tender. I start checking for tenderness when their Internal Temp (IT) is at 200F degrees. They are tender when I stab ALL OVER with a kabob skewer and it goes in with no resistance.

Hi there and welcome!

I think you are in good hands here.

The rump you can do lust like suggested and just as the guy did in this post.

The brisket is definitely not a cut you would do this with, simply too tough.
Chuck I feel would be too tough as well but I cook way way less chuck than I do brisket. I would imagine a chuck would also be tough if cooked this way.

I do all chucks and briskets until they are tender. I start checking for tenderness when their Internal Temp (IT) is at 200F degrees. They are tender when I stab ALL OVER with a kabob skewer and it goes in with no resistance.
Thanks a lot - very helpful stuff on here! I'm putting 2 chucks and 2 briskets in a MES at 250 and I'll check the IT until it gets about 170 - wrap and in oven until I get to 200 and will check and cook until it's "butta".

I dry brined (now @ 24 hrs) and will rub before hitting the smoke.

Any other suggestions are welcome!!

Patrick

Thanks a lot - very helpful stuff on here! I'm putting 2 chucks and 2 briskets in a MES at 250 and I'll check the IT until it gets about 170 - wrap and in oven until I get to 200 and will check and cook until it's "butta".

Patrick
Be patient with those last few degrees (between 200-205) they take longer than you think and make it all the more worthwhile. The rump will be good at the 130, but better a little more on the rare side, between 120-125. Have fun and welcome!

Patrick

I think your plan is solid.

FYI, briskets chucks don't care what smoker temp you cook them at as long as you arent burning them... and you arent using sugar in your rub/seasoning. So in this case you can go up quite abit higher in smoker temp so don't panic if you run hot the meat wont care. I do my briskets at 275F the whole time unwrapped. I wrap my chucks at about 180F IT.

Do not wrap too early. If you wrap too early you get roast beef flavor roasts not bbq beef.
I find chucks can run dry easily so when I wrap em I splash in a couple of ounces of wine/beer/broth/water/whatever I have on hand. This does the trick for me.

That's about it for extra info. Let us know how it goes!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky