11.44# Prime Rib w/qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

doohop65

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 19, 2013
Fox Valley, Wisconsin
Well I splurged and bought a prime rib for christmas with the in laws instead of the sirloin tip roast I was planning to do. Found a choice angus for 6.99/#.

Rubbed with old faith full spog
2 tablespoons each
Coarse ground black pepper
Kosher salt
Onion powder
Garlic powder

All rubbed up and put to bed for the night. Will be smoking with kingsford and applewood in my father in laws weber kettle because that is what I have available.

Will aim for 225-250 for 4 or so hours or until it hits 130-135. Will let it rest for an hour and may dear it at the end if I think it needs it.

First one so if anyone thinks my plan is off speak up now before I ruin this beautiful hunk of meat.

Will also be making chef JJs au jus and a horsey sauce I really enjoy.

Wish me luck.

Reactions: sqwib
Put the prime rib on at 645 after making sure Santa put presents under the tree for the kids.

Weber is running about 245. A little hotter than planned but will be ok.

Just dumped in the liquid for the au jus. Now we leave it alone and open presents.

I was going to say don't take it that high - I am going to pull mine at 126 and rest for medium rare - medium.  I would be interested to know how much it climbed past 132 when you pulled it.

My special treats for me for later.

I should have pulled it 5-7 degrees cooler. Everyone really enjoyed it. Flavor was great but it was closer to medium than I would have liked. 12.5 point deduction for over cooking. An 82.5 score overall.

Merry christmas everyone.

Reactions: Bearcarver
Nice........
icon14.gif

Demo,

Thanks for the kind words. My wife was of the same opinion. I tend to be hard in myself with my smoking if meats. I want it right.

I was going to pull at 125 when it got there but chickened out not wanting it too rare. Next time I will pull at 125.

Demo,

Thanks for the kind words. My wife was of the same opinion. I tend to be hard in myself with my smoking if meats. I want it right.

I was going to pull at 125 when it got there but chickened out not wanting it too rare. Next time I will pull at 125.
That was my problem, my PR was too rare for the family but not me I think you are dead on unless your family is a RARE meat family!

You sir get a 100,,, lol

points.gif

Looks Great to me, DooHop!!!
icon14.gif

If you pull it too rare, the meat tastes great, but it's too chewy & even hard to cut with a steak knife, because it's so rubbery.

Yours looks Perfect !
drool.gif
----------------
points.gif

Bear

Looks Great to me, DooHop!!!
icon14.gif

If you pull it too rare, the meat tastes great, but it's too chewy & even hard to cut with a steak knife, because it's so rubbery.

Yours looks Perfect !
drool.gif
----------------
points.gif

Bear
Yes, my family sees red and right way says it's gummy, I freak'n hate that word.

There is a fine line between Too Rare and Rare and as you said it gets too rubbery (Gummy)

I can tell its too rare when I pull it and the meat wiggles like jello, I'll say its jiggling its rare lol.

For family members that like their PR a bit more done, set up a warm au jus bath and put their slices in it for a few mins to bring it to a higher temp.

When I pay big bucks for Prime Rib, I want to eat the whole thing, not only 60 %.
LOL  You aren't paying big bucks for Prime Rib until you fix one like mine, then your paying big bucks, just like in the high end steakhouses.

Hope you and yours had a great Christmas.

Tom

LOL  You aren't paying big bucks for Prime Rib until you fix one like mine, then your paying big bucks, just like in the high end steakhouses.

Hope you and yours had a great Christmas.

Tom
Thanks Tom!!

And back at you, with an even better New Year to boot !!
icon14.gif

The only Awesome Steakhouse I've ever been to is right here, at the "Bear's Den".

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky