100# cyl. too small??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bekellog81

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 9, 2006
Meadville, MO
I was thinking today about maybe making a smoker out of a 100 # propane cyl, and am wondering if it would be too small for a back yard smoker. I smoke lots of pork shoulder and some hams. I would think that they would be fairly heavy metal. Any other size tanks make good smokers?? Anyone done this before. Any suggestions??? Any advice is appreciated

A 100# propane tank is not 100 gallons. A 24"x48" smoker works out to be about 94 gallons. The 125 gallon as suggested above would be 24"x64". That's a pretty big backyard smoker unless you're having a lots of parties. My 24"x48" is plenty big for me and I have cooked for 8 and 10 folks without even using all of the lower grate.

I guess bigger can be better, but if it's too large that's just a lot more fuel. That's my $0.02.

A 100# propane tank is not 100 gallons. A 24"x48" smoker works out to be about 94 gallons. The 125 gallon as suggested above would be 24"x64". That's a pretty big backyard smoker unless you're having a lots of parties. My 24"x48" is plenty big for me and I have cooked for 8 and 10 folks without even using all of the lower grate.

I guess bigger can be better, but if it's too large that's just a lot more fuel. That's my $0.02.
A 100# is not a 100 Gal.???  Really wow, I didn't know that. That is why I love this site the things you learn.

100# is 15 X 46 outside dia.     125 Gal. is 30 X 52

If I was going through the work of building a smoker out of a tank it would not be smaller than a 125 Gal. Which is my opinion. Which I think he was asking for.

Last edited:
Thanks for  the replys!!  I am looking for a smoker close to the size of my old Pitmaster, that is thicker steel and will not use up a lot of fuel.  I don't want to have to spend hours getting my smoker up to temp.  I understand it will take longer to get up to temp, but I want something that will hold more heat.  The most that I usually cook is a couple of pork shoulders and a ham.  I have not ran out of room on my old smoker yet.  I am just wonder if anyone has made a smoker out of a 100# tank and what the advantages and disadvantages are besides you can't smoke 10 pork butts on it.

Thanks for the links, this gives me some ideas. I have been thinking about using a 100# for the cc and a 20# for the fb, and putting plates in the lower half to even the heat out. Any thoughts on this?

Do you have the tanks laying around already? If so then definitely go for it it. And of course we want to see the thread with pictures:biggrin:

Yes my buddy has several old propane cylinders laying around, probably will not start on one until after planting season,and yes planning on sharing pictures!!

If I'm not mistaking.. the FB should be 1/3 the volume of the CC... what your suggesting is only 1/5 .. hopefully somebody can verify this ...

Figured this would be a good spot to post this since you all are already discussing a 100Gal. propane tank for building a smoker. I picked one up from a buddy not to long ago. He was using it for his gas fireplace at his house. He said the tank is empty but I cant be completely certain. My question is how does one SAFELY remove the valve to begin the build process?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky