• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apologies I have a wsm 14" full water bath holds inital smoking temps low, half full bath consistent but after evaporation spikes high, followed by a top up, that then drops. Totally consistent for cooks - 5 hours. But anything exceeding, can prove more inconsistent.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Yes of course but then causes a dip in temp

Do you heat the water first before refilling the water bowl?
If you just add cold water when refilling the water bowl, it will cause the smoker's temp to drop since the smoker is now trying to heat cold water.

You could try filling the water bowl with clean sand to act as the heat sink instead of using water.

Reactions: chopsaw
Apologies I have a wsm 14" full water bath holds inital smoking temps low, half full bath consistent but after evaporation spikes high, followed by a top up, that then drops. Totally consistent for cooks - 5 hours. But anything exceeding, can prove more inconsistent.
If you have used your WSM a bit and kinda know how it rolls, you may try foiling the water bowl and leaving dry. The amount of start up coals can be adjusted down a touch. That eliminates that as a factor and also uses less fuel.

one thing you might consider is a controller. such as a bbq guru. I used a party q and loved it. I don’t think they make that model anymore but they have others. It become a set it almost forget it.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
If you have used your WSM a bit and kinda know how it rolls, you may try foiling the water bowl and leaving dry. The amount of start up coals can be adjusted down a touch. That eliminates that as a factor and also uses less fuel.

one thing you might consider is a controller. such as a bbq guru. I used a party q and loved it. I don’t think they make that model anymore but they have others. It become a set it almost forget it.

A bbq guru would certainly be one thing to consider especially for longer cooks.

I Read this, and considered it. I understand it can b more uniform. But also read and understand ot could taint meat?

I Read this, and considered it. I understand it can b more uniform. But also read and understand ot could taint meat?

Filling the water bowl with clean sand and then covering it with aluminum foil will not harm the meat.
Are you using a separate remote thermometer probe to monitor the actual smoker temp?
The thermometer in the dome is not very accurate.

Reactions: DougE
Also, don’t worry about being high or low 5-10°F, even 15°F. Any temperature in the 225-275°F range is OK for backyard barbecue.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky