1/4 Cow Cut List

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BenB42

Original poster
Apr 28, 2020
Hello all. I'm new here and did a little search to see if something has been said about a preferred cut list for a 1/4 cow. My family and I are ordering our first side of beef and are a bit overwhelmed by what to tell the butcher. I saw some things have been said before but wanted to inquire to see if there are any updates or if yall have new information. We like to smoke, sous vide and grill so if anybody has any advice, we would GREATLY appreciate it!

Welcome. A good butcher will walk you thru choices. You can google 1/4 cow and get an idea of what you'll get. Butcher may have a list on website. I'd think about what your family wants to eat, then go from there. Do you like 1 in steaks or 2 in? Burger in 1 pound or 1.5 lb packages. 3 lb roast or 2? Do you like T-bones or Filet and New York strip more? You'll get a good amt of meat and I'm sure you'll enjoy the price and quality. Also getting things how you want is a huge bonus.

Welcome. A good butcher will walk you thru choices. You can google 1/4 cow and get an idea of what you'll get. Butcher may have a list on website. I'd think about what your family wants to eat, then go from there. Do you like 1 in steaks or 2 in? Burger in 1 pound or 1.5 lb packages. 3 lb roast or 2? Do you like T-bones or Filet and New York strip more? You'll get a good amt of meat and I'm sure you'll enjoy the price and quality. Also getting things how you want is a huge bonus.
Thank you very much for your response! Those are great things to consider.

image.jpg
This is what I get cut out of half a steer every year. 1 inch steaks. I split the steer with my sister. 4 other family men split 1 steer and the butcher divides the halves then 1/4 them out from there distributing as equal as possible. I do not like roasts so I choose stew meat or have them make lean burger. But there is only 1 Tri tip and brisket per side. You either get prime rib or ribeye steaks. I choose the steaks. Your butcher may do things different. This is how we have done it for years.

That sheet is from 2012. I didn’t get brisket at that time. Have since. And I don’t get the chuck roast anymore

A Friend that raises beef, lets you select cuts when you purchase Sides or Whole Animals. With Quarters, you get a mixed box, Butcher's choice, of cuts from the entire Side Primals...JJ

This thread is awesome. We just ordered a whole hog but 1/4 beef is probably next, especially given the current market

I'm pretty certain we are buying a hindquarter.
yeah i believe you don't get a front "quarter" unless you're finding someone to split a half. My parents used to order what's they called a half of a half, rather than a quarter, as it got them a bigger variety of cuts. I'm sure depending on the region though depends on how they word it.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
View attachment 442786This is what I get cut out of half a steer every year. 1 inch steaks. I split the steer with my sister. 4 other family men split 1 steer and the butcher divides the halves then 1/4 them out from there distributing as equal as possible. I do not like roasts so I choose stew meat or have them make lean burger. But there is only 1 Tri tip and brisket per side. You either get prime rib or ribeye steaks. I choose the steaks. Your butcher may do things different. This is how we have done it for years.
That list is a bit incomplete. Its missing the Oxtails, Hanger and kidneys to name a few things. Not to say that the processor is being dishonest, its just that there is a bit more to things than a lot of people realize. I would be taking all the bones and fat too, you paid for it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky