“Drum” uds lid

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Leithan

Original poster
Apr 23, 2019
after acquiring my drum for my build, a friend showed up with another. I now have an “extra” drum. It’s pretty dented but the bottom, up to the first rib is in good shape and dent free, the top is also nice and flat. What I was thinking, was to cut the the bottom out, just below the first rib, turn it over and weld it to the lid rim. This would give me about 14” extra hight. Has any one tried this?

I haven't tried it, but it sounds like something I'd do

A bit of advice I suppose. I run two racks in my UDS and the lower one is already a touch annoying to maneuver and remove/replace without getting bombarded by heat and smoke. Seems to me that the biggest advantage to extending your barrel would be able to add more shelves.

I guess if I was in your spot, and wanted to extend the height of the barrel, I'd consider cutting the door in the side of the barrel instead of the top. So you would have a door that opened towards you rather than accessing the racks from the top of the drum.

I mostly wanted the taller lid so I could hang ribs, and give them a bit more hight above charcoal basket. A cheap (free) alternative to a Webber domed lid.

UDS sealed top.jpg
UDS LIDS 2.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky