What's best to start with?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thenegativeone

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
Lincoln UK
As I'm new to smoking meats I was wondering how best to start out. I'm looking for something pretty simple that will let me learn the capabilities of my very cheap and cheerful smoker

Any advice you can give me would be great.

Chicken is always a good starting place. It is cheap and can take wide temp swings. It is also very tasty. While you are doing that keep notes of what you did. Learn to control your temps. Remember to post a Qview. Keep the lid closed and cook to IT not by time. Keep track of time so you will have an idea how long it will take next time.

Happy smoken.

David

Chicken is always a good place to start. However it's kind of a short smoke and if you overshoot the target temperature (165) by too much you might come out of it thinking smoked food isn't very good. I'd suggest a "fatty" (use the search function) followed by a pork butt. The fatty is quick and easy and hard to screw up, and the pork butt will give you an idea of how your smoker behaves over a longer haul, while still being damn near impossible to screw up. By the way, what cheap and cheerful smoker are you using?

Last edited:
Cheers for the advice guys. I'm using a very cheap (£25) smoker/BBQ I got off Amazon. Tectake I believe.
Hence I want something simple to smoke to judge how it heats up/ holds the heat/ contains the smoke and see what kind of mods I need to make to optimise it.

I realise that it is very cheap and am not expecting a lot from it but I figure if I can make passable food from a smoker this cheap it'll be worth a further investment down the road.

I would do a dry run on it to see where it has leaks, then seal up the leaks first.

My very first charcoal smoker was very similar to that. A few tips and pointers. If it has a water pan, fill it with sand and cover that with foil. Try and protect the smoker from the wind as much as possible. Research the Minion method for lighting. Load the charcoal basket as full as you can. You loose to much heat opening the door to add fuel. If you're going to do a dry run might as well throw some cheap meat in there. Hamburgers, bangers, brats, meatloaf, pork loin or tenderloin roast. Pork chops chicken all good first time smokes.

Exactly what David said. One thing the sand will do is and a stable thermal mass. This will be important in helping to maintain stable temps. One more thing, do not trust the therm in the lid. It more than likely is not accurate. Get yourself a good digital remote therm that has two or more probes. Use one to monitor the smoker temp and one to monitor the meat you are smoking. The Maverick ET732, or ET733 are proven therms. The iGrill2 is another good choice, but requires you to have an iPhone, iPad or android phone to use.

Practice and patience are your friends , as is time . . .use them wisely .

Hey , Danny Boy. Contact this one , you're closer
ROTF.gif
. thenegitiveone needs a Friend to change his name to 'apositiveone'
cool.gif

Have fun negitiveone , and for sure . . .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky