Beef Hearts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimid77

Original poster
Dec 19, 2023
I'm fascinated by organ meats, but always disappointed when I don't enjoy them. I recently decided to try beef hearts and started with a simple beef jerky. I'll be adjusting the marinade and doing some general tweaking, but actually enjoyed this organ meat.
My question is, has anyone ever tried smoking beef hearts NOT for jerky? I'm not sure how well this would come out. There is little fat content and they need to be well trimmed, so not sure how good of a candidate the heart is for the smoker. Any thoughts and/or recommendations would be appreciated.

I'm fascinated by organ meats, but always disappointed when I don't enjoy them. I recently decided to try beef hearts and started with a simple beef jerky. I'll be adjusting the marinade and doing some general tweaking, but actually enjoyed this organ meat.
My question is, has anyone ever tried smoking beef hearts NOT for jerky? I'm not sure how well this would come out. There is little fat content and they need to be well trimmed, so not sure how good of a candidate the heart is for the smoker. Any thoughts and/or recommendations would be appreciated.

if you open them up like butterfly them and get i the valve trimmed and clean up the inside im sure itd be delicious as i just did this with venison hearts and there were excellent with a simple rub.

the key is you clean the valves that are found in the inside as they are chewy and unpleasant when cooked other than that its a excellent meat and the it is a organ but it is a muscle so it taste as good as any other muscle.

i did make jerky with one and it was very good as well.

Reactions: JLeonard
My question is, has anyone ever tried smoking beef hearts NOT for jerky?
Here you go...

Haven't butterflied one yet, but have smoked venison hearts, especially after seeing crazymoon crazymoon posts on it... turned out really good! Wife made chislic out of one not long ago as well... that was tasty also. Don't think she cared for it as much because of the different texture.

Ryan

Reactions: crazymoon
The beef hearts came out as darned good jerky. Now it's time to work on the marinade! I made two batches using coconut aminos (not always a fan of soy sauce) and some store-bought spices that I enjoy from Texas. I was running low on time and just wanted to try out the hearts.
The first batch was really salty, which confused me as I try and stick with little salt in most of my cooking and make sure my pre-mixed spices are generally low on the saltiness scale. I was worried I had just wasted a few pounds of meat as the second batch was the same... exccept for one small detail: I added a little hit of Maker's Mark bourbon to the mix. Came out really nice.
Handed some out in the office and no one thought anything was different in regards to flavor or texture as far as the cut went. Some of them preferred the, in my opinion, overly salty ones.
I'm going to do it again this weekend without the aminos and make my own rub. Not sure about the marinade, but I'll do a dry rub batch and a marinaded batch.

Reactions: crazymoon
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky