New member in Central PA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Stu929

Original poster
Nov 28, 2023
Hello all, just wanted to say hello and that I'm happy to join and soak up some knowledge.

While I am new to the forum, I have had a smoker for probably 7 years give or take. I have been using a Masterbuilt electric woodchip for that time. While I know some poo poo the electric smokers with some simple mods, I was able to get it to work very well for me and made some great food. Unfortunately, Thanksgiving dinner just as I pulled the Turkey the heating element appeared to have died.

As such I have been looking at this forum a lot as I want to build my next smoker and I loved the vertical format of the Masterbuilt, but I want bigger as that and the 275 temp maxes were the only limitations that frustrated me about the Masterbuilt. I have a line on an old Kelvinator and I'm trying to decide if I want to go Electric (not sure if I can get the temp I want) or Pellet (I would like to go pellet but some of the assemblies get to be pretty steep)

Thanks for having me, and thank you in advance for any advice or ideas.
Steve

Reactions: JLeonard
Hello from RI.

Don't get rid of that MES! Do the simple rewire and add an Auber PID controller. You'll still be limited by 275 but you will have super tight control over set temp.

Hello from RI.

Don't get rid of that MES! Do the simple rewire and add an Auber PID controller. You'll still be limited by 275 but you will have super tight control over set temp.
Don't get me wrong I love how well the MES works in the winter but there are times it just too small.. That's why I was thinking about a fridge build.

Honestly, I had been looking at the older copperhead uprights but some of them see to have control board issues.

Last edited:
If you like electrics then you might want to look into the SmokinTex or Smokin-It smokers. These can safely achieve higher temps than the MES.

Reactions: Stu929
Hello from RI.

Also I should mention the board on my MES still works, its the heating element that died, which I may replace anyway. Just wishing I had something a little bigger.

If you like electrics then you might want to look into the SmokinTex or Smokin-It smokers. These can safely achieve higher temps than the MES.
I certainly don't mind them, I know some purists don't like them but as long as the food comes out good I don't really care how it gets there. ;-)

Hello from RI.

I found that fridge for 50 bucks so the price wasn't bad it's just a matter of can I get that any warmer than my MES which I think would be hard without pellets. Which is what brought me here :-)

original-04549B5A-1BD7-43EE-A4C5-90CC3BB08B8F.png
processed-AA2AFD2B-2BD5-42F3-AE68-285CACC48AA7.jpeg

From that I have seen $50 doesn't seem to bad. And in hindsight I would actually ask how often do you go much hotter than 275? I only want to when I do poultry to crisp skin. Right now we smoke them then pop them in the air fryer and that works great.

I should also say I am not dead set on a fridge conversion just trying to find a way to be able to smoke year around that is larger than a MES and wont cost me a forture. I am handy and like to try things myself btw.

Welcome from Southeast Missouri! While my son just picked up a Masterbuilt gasser, he already has a MES that he has used with great success. He now has two very good smokers and a gas grill that can also smoke.

Welcome from Southeast Missouri! While my son just picked up a Masterbuilt gasser, he already has a MES that he has used with great success. He now has two very good smokers and a gas grill that can also smoke.
I loved my MES, it served me well for many years, several of those in a townhouse where room was at a premium.

Reactions: mr mac
They a perfect option for those in an apartment/condo environment.
I agree. My only real issue was when I wanted to smoke for a group, and I would run out of space. Thats the Main reason I am considering doing a Fridge build. Probably overkill for my everyday usage but it would get more fully utilized a few times a year for holidays and parties.

I used to smoke for parties in my Big Chief. Just smoke the easy stuff such as pork butt that can be reheated at a later date for serving.
I'm currently in process on a couple batches of pig shots that will get smoke-cooked either Wednesday or Thursday for reheating on Friday and Saturday

I used to smoke for parties in my Big Chief. Just smoke the easy stuff such as pork butt that can be reheated at a later date for serving.
I'm currently in process on a couple batches of pig shots that will get smoke-cooked either Wednesday or Thursday for reheating on Friday and Saturday
I know someone else that does that, I need to learn better reheating practices as I haven't had the best results, that and I guess we would need a second fridge.

Hello all, just wanted to say hello and that I'm happy to join and soak up some knowledge.

While I am new to the forum, I have had a smoker for probably 7 years give or take. I have been using a Masterbuilt electric woodchip for that time. While I know some poo poo the electric smokers with some simple mods, I was able to get it to work very well for me and made some great food. Unfortunately, Thanksgiving dinner just as I pulled the Turkey the heating element appeared to have died.

As such I have been looking at this forum a lot as I want to build my next smoker and I loved the vertical format of the Masterbuilt, but I want bigger as that and the 275 temp maxes were the only limitations that frustrated me about the Masterbuilt. I have a line on an old Kelvinator and I'm trying to decide if I want to go Electric (not sure if I can get the temp I want) or Pellet (I would like to go pellet but some of the assemblies get to be pretty steep)

Thanks for having me, and thank you in advance for any advice or ideas.
Steve
Welcome from central PA as well I’m in union county

Glad to have you, Steve. I'm a stick burner guy so no help on pellet or electric, but whichever way you go, post up some pics along the way...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky