Venison Tenderloin and Beef Filet Mignon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
Food plots are coming in nicely and we just set the cameras while the venison tenderloin and beef tenderloin were thawing. I had butterflied the venison tenderloins last fall and regretted it today because I was wanting venison AND beef filet mignon's (wife takes the beef - venison freaks her out a bit ha-ha). I used toothpicks to double-stack the butterflied venison tenderloins. Everything got wrapped in bacon.

SPG for seasoning
Hickory smoked.
Hot fire - 300F-350F

I made teriyaki sauteed mushrooms and corn on the cob to go with them. Pulled the filet's with an IT of about 140F.

Butterflied venison tenderloin
IMG_0013.jpg

Beef on the left - venison on the right (more toothpicks in the venison)
IMG_0014.jpg

Ancient Brinkmann grill/smoker still doing its job
IMG_0015 (1).jpg

Thin Blue Smoke - but since these are short smokes, i think you can go a little heavy and not worry about it
IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

Money shot - beef on the left, venison on the right
IMG_0019.jpg

Time for supper :-)
IMG_0020.jpg

Last edited:
Eddie.... That looks GREAT!!!! I am pretty Jealous as well. Like for sure.
I think I am going to miss most of the hunting season this yr, Not very happy about that but up here work is pretty scarce this yr for us in the oilpatch so I will take everyday I can Get.

I'll take a pass on the schrooms, but pass a plate of the tenders - please. Looks and sounds fantastic.

Point for sure
Chris

Speaking of venison.........I just snapped this pic about 30 min ago from my office.....Urban Deer on the prowl!

....watch out eddie, she is out for revenge....

UrbanDeer.jpg

Cleaning out the freezer? Must be looking ahead to a good season coming up. Perfect bites to share and compare. Looks very inviting.

Cleaning out the freezer? Must be looking ahead to a good season coming up. Perfect bites to share and compare. Looks very inviting.

Absolutely cleaning it out...haha. Nothing worse than old freezer burned venison. Although shrink-wrapping has really helped with that.

3 packs of jalapeno cheddar sticks left, 5 packs of brats left, some venison jerky meat (roasts) and a few more loins...then time to refill the freezer.

Reactions: drdon
Looks very good.

Question, you must get the butcher to cut them up for you? They love to cut the back strap butterflied instead of filleting off the silver skin because its easier. IMO, it has to be one of the best improvements we had with self butchering.

I love backstrap and we cook it in whole sections. The daughter just did one whole one in three pieces on the grill. She inserts the probe and cooks to 135 IT and covered in Rub. Warms maybe to 140 with a rest, Damn that's good.

Reactions: tallbm
Looks very good.

Question, you must get the butcher to cut them up for you? They love to cut the back strap butterflied instead of filleting off the silver skin because its easier. IMO, it has to be one of the best improvements we had with self butchering.

I love backstrap and we cook it in whole sections. The daughter just did one whole one in three pieces on the grill. She inserts the probe and cooks to 135 IT and covered in Rub. Warms maybe to 140 with a rest, Damn that's good.

archeryrob archeryrob
Yes. My neighbor processes deer. $75 - hard to pass up when getting a late evening deer...which this particular deer was. We process them ourselves when the weather and time of day permits. Having a tractor with a loader bucket with teeth has made that job much easier.

Smoking whole sections of back-strap would be nice. But unfortunately my wife won't touch venison.

any chance on getting the recipe for the mushrooms, they sound good.

h8that4u h8that4u - here you go.
The measurements are approximate as I add stuff as I go. The most important thing is there is enough liquid to get the mushrooms simmering in the sauce...too dry at the start is not the plan. If that is the case, add a little bit of wine and teriyaki sauce.

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced – or – substitute garlic powder (to suit)
1 tablespoon red cooking wine – or – any dry red wine will do
1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce
Pinch of salt & pepper (to suit)

Directions:
  • Heat olive oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat
  • Add in all other ingredients into the hot oil and butter until mushrooms are lightly browned, about 5 minutes
  • Reduce heat to low and simmer until mushrooms are tender, 5 to 8 more minutes

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky