Beef and Lamb Sausage (80/20 mix)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WstTxSmokes

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 17, 2024
I had an idea for a beef and lamb smoked sausage and was thinking an 80/20 mix. I'll post updates as I go along this weekend, however i was curious is this a bad idea? ha. My thought is that the lamb would add a bit of umami flavor and make the sausage a bit more beefy/rich tasting. Love to hear anyone's thoughts!
Think I will use the following spices:

white pepper,
black pepper,
cayenne,
salt,
garlic, onion and mustard powder,
nfdm

Goal is a very beefy rich central texas bbq sausage.

I'm gonna watch this thread. I love lamb (and venison), but my wife and daughters don't. They complain about eating Little Bo peep's sheep and Bambi, so I try and sneak it in whenever I can. I just know lamb is quite strong, so I'll be curious how much you can discern with 20% lamb in the sausage.

When I make any sausage with lamb or venison, its usually saved for me and my sons.

Thanks for experimenting for me!

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
I'm gonna watch this thread. I love lamb (and venison), but my wife and daughters don't. They complain about eating Little Bo peep's sheep and Bambi, so I try and sneak it in whenever I can. I just know lamb is quite strong, so I'll be curious how much you can discern with 20% lamb in the sausage.

When I make any sausage with lamb or venison, its usually saved for me and my sons.

Thanks for experimenting for me!
sure thing. Yes, I'm not going to tell the wife and kids what is in the "improved" version.

• Haha
Reactions: ceeaton
I love roasted, fried or smoked lamb, it my all time favorite. That said, I’ve yet to make a decent sausage with it. For some reason the game taste is real pronounced especially if cure #1 is in the mix. I’ll be curious how yours turns out as I’ve never mixed beef with lamb I’ve always tried straight lamb.

Reactions: WstTxSmokes
Front is beef lamb mix, back is all brisket. Just put them on.

Attachments

• IMG_5662.jpeg
    IMG_5662.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 11
Right is beef/sheep left is 100% beef. Taste test coming soon. Just need to reheat after cold water bath

Attachments

• IMG_5667.jpeg
    IMG_5667.jpeg
    234 KB · Views: 6
Right is beef/sheep left is 100% beef. Taste test coming soon. Just need to reheat after cold water bath
Welp, results are in from the kids. The beef/sheep was the least worst ha. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong but the last three sausages I’ve made have come out way too juicy. It’s like taking a bite into a watery meat concoction. I weighed the meat and fat seperately and I only put a half cup of water in for for each six pound batch. Kinda lost on what I’m doing wrong as the first batches I ever made were great.. any help is much appreciated!

Welp, results are in from the kids. The beef/sheep was the least worst ha. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong but the last three sausages I’ve made have come out way too juicy. It’s like taking a bite into a watery meat concoction. I weighed the meat and fat seperately and I only put a half cup of water in for for each six pound batch. Kinda lost on what I’m doing wrong as the first batches I ever made were great.. any help is much appreciated!
I’m wondering if it might be how I’m smoking them using the dowel rods instead of just laying them flat on the grill like I didn’t first?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky