Smoked Mac & Cheese Question?!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rafter H BBQ

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 18, 2013
S.E. Idaho
Hey all, so I feel like I do not make a decent smoked Mac & Cheese. I just can’t seem to nail it… I’ve tried a few different recipes none of which I can recall at this time, I know that’s a shame on me for not documenting which I normally do… so apologies for that!

To me, it’s something maybe I am doing wrong with the pasta? The texture does not seem right… I will say that I do not have a lot of experience with pasta… maybe that’s it?

Anyway, sorry for the vagueness… but just thought I’d reach out and see if anyone has any tips or tricks they wouldn’t mind sharing! Or your go to recipe you wouldn’t mind sharing?! Again, my apologies for the lack of provided info!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Don't feel bad brother... I'm the same way! If your issues are the same as mine I don't think it's a pasta issue. Mine is texture of cheese mix... not smooth and creamy but not sure how to put it... gritty maybe?

Ryan

Lemme get in the boat with y'all! I cant get mine right either. And like y'all....I think its the cheese/sauce side of things.

Jim

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
Give this a go. Super creamy and delicious

Well, Ryan and Jim… maybe we can figure this out together!

Thanks Jake, gonna give that recipe a try… 👍🏼

Reactions: JLeonard
I make a creamy mac & cheese, here's the ingredients or double for a larger crowd...
  • 1 lb. dried pasta. I like elbow macaroni or shells
  • 5 T unsalted butter
  • 5 T all purpose flour
  • 5 cups whole or ½&½ milk warmed
  • 1 lb. shredded white cheddar cheese
  • 4 ounces cream cheese
  • 1/2 tsp salt or more to taste
  • 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
Warm the milk in a pot, but don't allow to simmer or boil. Cook the pasta a couple of minutes short of being done. While that's going on, melt the butter and add the flour stirring almost constantly to make a roux. When it starts to turn brown and begins to smell kind of nutty, whisk in the warmed milk, again stirring almost constantly and bring to a low simmer. When it thickens, add in the pasta, reduce the heat and stir in the cheeses and the salt and pepper until cheese melts. Put mixture into a 9x13 pan, or 13x21 if you've doubled the recipe, and top with more cheddar cheese. Smoke uncovered until bubbly and cheese is browned, about an hour or two at 300℉ smoker temp...

I make a creamy mac & cheese, here's the ingredients or double for a larger crowd...
  • 5 T unsalted butter
  • 5 T all purpose flour
  • 4 ounces cream cheese
Warm the milk in a pot, but don't allow to simmer or boil. Cook the pasta a couple of minutes short of being done. While that's going on, melt the butter and add the flour stirring almost constantly to make a roux. When it starts to turn brown and begins to smell kind of nutty, whisk in the warmed milk, again stirring almost constantly and bring to a low simmer. When it thickens, add in the pasta, reduce the heat and stir in the cheeses and the salt and pepper until cheese melts. Put mixture into a 9x13 pan, or 13x21 if you've doubled the recipe, and top with more cheddar cheese. Smoke uncovered until bubbly and cheese is browned, about an hour or two at 300℉ smoker temp...

Thanks Charles, will give this a try… 👍🏼

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Don't feel bad brother... I'm the same way! If your issues are the same as mine I don't think it's a pasta issue. Mine is texture of cheese mix... not smooth and creamy but not sure how to put it... gritty maybe?

Ryan

Ryan, gritty… yes that too!

Reactions: JLeonard
Here you go….. for smoked, put it in the smoker @ 265 (vs the home oven at 400) till the pasta finishes from its al dente pre-cook…..

Homemade Mac & Cheese:
1/4C Flour
1/4C Butter
Cook flour & butter till the flour is cooked in.
Wisk in 2C Milk & 1C heavy cream & put on a very low simmer

Once sauce is creamy add:
1C (each) of coarse grated smoked gouda & extra sharp cheddar (Tillamook)
1/2C fine grated parmesan
Season with S&P and some old bay....you can add some red pepper if you want some heat as well.

Next your fav pasta, about 8 to 12 oz dry (boil it al dente while making the sauce).

Add pasta to cheese sauce it is creamy, you want it saucy cause it will be absorbed by the pasta

Put in oven safe dish (individual size or family size). Add some for cheese blend on top and any other goodies you want, ie sausage, bacon, chicken…..then seasoned bread crumbs if desired. The sauce and pasta are the canvas create individual tastes….

Then put in the oven at 400ish to melt the cheese and brown the crumbs (about 6 to 10 min). Added chopped green onion if desired.

Here it is on brisket pizza…..
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/introducing-the-mac-cheese-brisket-pizza.314296/

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
  • 5 T unsalted butter
  • 5 T all purpose flour
  • 4 ounces cream cheese
Real close to how I make it. Though I don't use cream cheese. And I use cheese I smoked previously. And I make a bread crumb topping to put on top. With the cheese being smoked. This works well using the oven if smoking isn't convenient.

Here's how I make mine Justin
Seafood mac-n-cheese. Sorry I left the process out of this one, but it's the same as the next thread. Just different proteins and cheese.

Seafood Mac-n-cheese
1706348690777.png

This next one is a meat protein based version.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky