Mac-N-Cheese Supper Take two.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Well it's been about six months since my last mac-n-cheese supper posting. So I figured it was time for another go at it. Besides, with us(mostly my wife) babysitting the grandson and his love for cheese. I knew this would be a hit.

Let's get the party started.

Ingredients:
16oz box of mini shells(cooked to al dente)
1lb of block Cabot Cheddar
8oz. block Cabot Monterey Jack
Leftover block of Parmesan
1 Stick of butter
1/2 cup of A/P flour
4 Cups of whole milk(heated)
1.5 cups of half-n-half(heated)
9 strips of thick cut bacon
1 package of Johnsonville Beef Brats
1 ham steak
A couple twists of black pepper

DSC04803.JPG

Start off by frying up the bacon:
DSC04806.JPG

Next up is grating the cheese. Use block cheese. The pre-shredded stuff has a coating on it to help prevent clumping.
DSC04808.JPG

Cook the ham and brats in the bacon grease and slice them up into mouth sized pieces.

DSC04810.JPG

Put one stick of butter in a larger pot and melt it on low heat. Add the flour stir until it's well blended and you've got your roux started.
DSC04811.JPG

Stir the milk and half-n-half into the roux and mix well until it thickens. Add cheese and continue stirring. Then comes the pasta. Again stir the mixture until the pasta is well coated. Finally add the meats and stir some more until it's well distributed. Reserve some cheese for the top of the Mac-n-cheese.

Bacon first. Sorry for the fuzzy picture.
DSC04813.JPG

Then the ham and brats:
DSC04814.JPG

Spread the mixture evenly into an appropriate sized casserole dish and top with the remaining cheese.
DSC04817.JPG

Bake at 375* until you start seeing it bubble and the top starts to brown.
DSC04819.JPG

Finally the money shot:
DSC04820.JPG

Well that's all folks. Thanks for hanging with me.

Chris

Last edited:
Thanks Chris. It's a meal unto itself. One bowl and I was full.

Chris

Looks really good! Question: how much pasta and is it boiled first?
Appreciate it Justin. 16oz box of mini shells, and they're boiled to al dente. Thanks I forgot that part.

Chris

Absolutely loaded.
I've never tried beef in the mac-n-cheese. Can you describe what it adds?
Hmm, maybe some smoked chuck ... thinking about it.

Don't make much anymore after the kids flew the nest and no grandkids yet.
My kids like it smoked in the kettle or pellet pooper.

Reactions: gmc2003
That is great Chris. Everything in the world is right with meat loaded Mac-N-Cheese. I’d be up to my elbows in that meal. Nice work Sir.

Sign me up Chris!! That looks fantastic buddy. No way could you keep me away from a massive helping of that. Nice job sir...and let's face it, what's not to love about all the goodies in there?

Robert

Heck YEAH, Chris!! I've done it with ham, bacon, and smoked sausage, but never all 3 at the same time...me likes that idea!
Well it's been about six months since my last mac-n-cheese supper posting. So I figured it was time for another go at it. Besides, with us(mostly my wife) babysitting the grandson and his love for cheese. I knew this would be a hit.
And what kid doesn't love mac-n-cheese? It ought to be a food group all by itself... :emoji_laughing:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky