Pastrami smoking and an ice storm question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spag

Original poster
Aug 18, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Hello, I have a quick question about freezing my pastrami. At the moment I have a couple chuckies dry curing with TQ and they will be ready to smoke/Sous Vide this weekend. I also have a snow/ice storm headed my way this weekend and I’m not sure if it’s feasible to get them out to the smoker.

I know I can't let them cure another week and though I’d really prefer not to, my thought was to freeze them and give it another try next weekend. My question is would it better to freeze as is (vac sealed in the brine) or maybe rinse them off and soak for a couple hours like I normally do and then freeze?

These guys are looking good, that would suck to ruin them.

1704939855608.png

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: JLeonard
I don't have much experience with TenderQuick
It is a timed cure so when you hit the time, rinse and into the fridge until you are ready to smoke. The exterior is cured and will be good for a week to 10 days without freezing. It will equalize the cure resting in the fridge.
If you find the need to soak in water, you may be over curing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky