Cheese Smoking question...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bruce this may help you out. Warning it's a long read.

Bruce this may help you out. Warning it's a long read.

Yes, soaking the pellets to make dust is soooo easy
Thanks. Yeah I though about doing that. Would have to see if I still have a tray.
Pretty sure I have a tube. Don't use them since I got this --> Smoke Box

Wow, sure looks like that "Smoke Box" will put out way too much smoke. I assume the tray is V shape allowing one to fill just bottom portion with pellets or dust to control the amount of smoke?

Back to the cheese subject, I forgot to mention earlier that after I smoke the cheese, I typically wrap 9 blocks in some butcher paper and then let it sit in my spare fridge in the garage over 1 or 2 nights, then I vacuum seal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 02ebz06
Wow, sure looks like that "Smoke Box" will put out way too much smoke. I assume the tray is V shape allowing one to fill just bottom portion with pellets or dust to control the amount of smoke?
Yes it is V shaped with a flat bottom.
I have added a piece of expanded metal in it so pellets are off bottom and get more air under than just the holes in the tray.
How much smoke depends on how many pellets you put in.
If not in the CampChef that has a "fan only" mode in controller, I use a computer fan with a power supply and speed control to move the smoke around.

And the verdict is???
I also think the size of the smoking vessel and what you use, pellets vs. dust is a factor.

20240127_154758.jpg

Which is a double wide commercial fridge with apple pellets in amnps for usually 4 hours.

Better view of size...

20240123_162249.jpg

Now that amnps in a kettle would be too much I would think. Then left uncovered in fridge overnight and vac sealed the next day. I try to stay ahead of my cheese smoking so some of this won't be touched for a couple months at least.

Ryan

I have never tried to cold smoke but now it's on ! Needed a good step by step.
I did try "hot smoked' last weekend and can verify that it DOES NOT WORK 🤨.
Cream cheese will hold up but not blocks of cheddar!

View attachment 685303
Keith
Oops!I’ve heard of smoked Mac and cheese. Youre halfway there! I cant help but enjoy where others share those humbling moments like I do. Thank you for the info

Oops!I’ve heard of smoked Mac and cheese. Youre halfway there! I cant help but enjoy where others share those humbling moments like I do. Thank you for the info
Yep SR just needed a bowl of Mac for the cheese to drip in 😂 And yes I have been humble many times . But at least we get to eat our mistakes 🙃

Keith

• Love
Reactions: SmokeRing0909
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky