Roasted Green Chile Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks really good Edge. You should reserve about a pound and a quarter of that and make a nice fatty with it.

Point for sure
Chris

I didn’t weigh it but I’d guess just a smidge under 2#, made 7 links so now we will smoke ‘em up.

IMG_1632.jpeg

IMG_1634.jpeg

Hatch is perfect here, get after it. Did you catch my post about mashing and seasoning roasted Chile for table use and cooking? It’s delicious.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/colorado-pueblo-chile-roast.323044/
Just now checked it out, it looked great!

I think if I do a sausage I will turn my Hatch chilies into a paste using my Vitamix (everything must now be blended into oblivion hahahaha :P ) and then mix that into the sausage so the flavor is distributed really well.

I could also just do chopped chunks but again... the Vitamix plus it will take care of any stray seeds so I won't have to dig those not so edible things out :D

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I wrote out a recipe that is a bit easier to follow.

Roasted Green Chile Sausage:

1 Kg) ground pork (I do half through 3/8 plate and half through 3/16 just what I like)
.25%) Cure #1
.5%) Sea salt
.5%) Knorr chicken bouillon powder
1.5-4g) Garlic powder
2-3g) Fresh cracked black pepper
.05%) Sodium erythorbate
63g) Finely chopped roasted green Chile (my Chile is a solid medium, adjust accordingly)
86g) Tillamook farm style thick shredded sharp/extra sharp cheese.

Mix well until the batter becomes sticky so that a golf ball size amount will not fall off your hand facing down.
Add small amounts of ice water if needed for consistency, mine needed none.

Reactions: tallbm and gmc2003
Looks really good Edge. You should reserve about a pound and a quarter of that and make a nice fatty with it.

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you Chris, I was thinking about doing that with another batch and trying that fantastic bacon weave you do!

Just now checked it out, it looked great!

I think if I do a sausage I will turn my Hatch chilies into a paste using my Vitamix (everything must now be blended into oblivion hahahaha :P ) and then mix that into the sausage so the flavor is distributed really well.

I could also just do chopped chunks but again... the Vitamix plus it will take care of any stray seeds so I won't have to dig those not so edible things out :D
I’m glad you saw that. The great thing about mashing the Chile all together, besides the added flavors, is that every bag of Chile will be exactly the same flavor and heat level. This way you know exactly what you have and don’t get surprised.

I hope you try the recipe. Diced the Chile flavor really comes through after siting overnight to cure, but if a paste works better for you that’s great. You may want to lower the Chile amount that way as it will be more pronounced and may get a bit hot depending on the heat level of your chiles.

Reactions: tallbm
Against my better judgment I fired up the big smokehouse. Decided to smoke these 7 links the right way and finish in a poach, they are so good they deserve that.

Firing up the smoke generator and the main burner is at 130F

IMG_1635.jpeg

Pecan and cherry working their magic.

IMG_1636.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 02ebz06 and tallbm
I don't make sausage, but when I make meatloaf or chili. I run half of my veggies thru a food processor until they take on a fine relish thickness. The other half I finely dice. Then I add all of it into the mix. For me it distributes evenly throughout whatever I'm making.

Chris

I don't make sausage, but when I make meatloaf or chili. I run half of my veggies thru a food processor until they take on a fine relish thickness. The other half I finely dice. Then I add all of it into the mix. For me it distributes evenly throughout whatever I'm making.

Chris
As far as I’m concerned meatloaf is a sausage, so you do make sausage, the fatty would fall in that category as well.
I do agree on the relish type chop. I hand chop the Chile but I guess it’s more of half minced and half fine chopped. Roasted Chile has a tendency to get stringy when processed so I just do it by hand.

Reactions: gmc2003
I do agree on the relish type chop. I hand chop the Chile but I guess it’s more of half minced and half fine chopped. Roasted Chile has a tendency to get stringy when processed so I just do it by hand.

I don't roast, remove the pith or seeds when I use peppers in meatloaf or chili. So I haven't experienced the stringiness yet, but it's good to know if I ever do roast one - thanks

Chris

Kind of finishing up here. No cut shot yet but may have one later. Probably just going to eat these with Anasazi beens tonight. Any who here is the finish.

4 hours in the smoker got up To about 140F in the end. Internal temp was 135F.

IMG_1638.jpeg

Then into a pot of hot water for the poach. Water was 170F when we started and off the heat.

IMG_1639.jpeg

I let these run about 30 minutes. As a side the IT of these was 150F at the 15 minute mark. Did these with the SV set at 151.
IMG_1640.jpeg

Then cold water soak to cool down and bloom in air.

IMG_1642.jpeg

All done, and notice the cheese is still in place not run out and melted. These are perfect.

Reactions: tallbm and DougE
Putting together another 2 Kg of this recipe now, will stuff tomorrow morning and try to show how through pictures to link with the English braid technique. Then these will be smoked and then poached to finish.

They will look like this In hog casing.

IMG_0653.jpeg

IMG_0662.jpeg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky