Pueblo, pork green chili. Throwdown entry.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLinza

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 24, 2021
Colorado
This was my throwdown entry, figured I'd share it. But first gotta say, it sure was fun playing in the Throwdown. This was my first time entering and it was pretty darn cool.
For this recipe I made a larger pot to share with friends & family, so I basically doubled everything. And I don't really go off of measurements much, so I'll do my best to be as accurate as I can.
I used 2 sandwich bags(maybe 2 1/2 - 3 cups) full of Pueblo green chilis, from Musso farms in Pueblo, Colorado (may be able to find Milberger's chilis online, for those out of state)
20240217_172519.jpg

I smoked about a 5 lb boneless pork shoulder (used probably half or so & froze the rest) with basically just a little SPG rub as I didn't want other spices to over-power the chilis.
20240217_223748.jpg

20240217_223829.jpg

I stopped the cook closer to the 180ish range for this one. I cut the pork into about 1/2 in cubes and gave them a slight pull.
On to the chilis...
20240218_130551.jpg

20240218_143139.jpg

I peeled and de-veined the chilis (wife and kids can't take the heat, lol) if you like it hot leave some veins. I chopped & diced. Half of that stayed choped, 1/4 diced, 1/4 emulsified. (Chopped & diced difference is the same as you would see in a can at the store)
20240218_183233.jpg

2- 32.oz chicken broths, 4 cans fire roasted diced tomatoes, half cup flour and cornstarch (mixed in water until desired consistency.) probably 1 to 2 tbls Cumin, 1 tbls chili powder, 1 tbls minced garlic, 1tbls smoked paprika, 1 tbls black pepper, 1 - 2 tbls salt, 2 tbls lard or crisco (optional) I pretty much do those all "to taste". And 1 diced yellow onion (sautéed). All in the cast iron pot and on the smoker for a couple hours. I moved to the stove top a simmerd for most of the day. Toast up some homemade tortillas and you're good to go.
20240218_204231.jpg

And that's the end result! Sorry, it's a little lengthy.
Thanks for lookin, it sure was fun.

Last edited:
That looks delicious. I get my Pueblo Chile from Musso farms also. Nice folks and a cool set up they have.

Your green Chile stew looks much like what I build also and I do like the addition of smoked pork also. I do a carne adovada with smoked pork that is stupid good.

Anyway, nice work and I’m super excited to have another member using Pueblo Chile. I think they are better than hatch but shhhhh! That could cause a dust up.

Reactions: JLinza
I’m super excited to have another member using Pueblo Chile. I think they are better than hatch

I'm very familiar with the Colorado vs. New Mexico chili war lol. But I agree, Pueblo's are hotter and a meater chili for sure. Much better in my opinion. Thanks.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Darn good looking soup ! And the best throw downs are the fun ones, glad you enjoyed it!

Ryan

Dang that looks good! I spent some time in southern NM some of it in Deming were a buddy was a chili farmer……man I love chili roasting time….im in the roasted chili camp! lol

Dang that looks good! I spent some time in southern NM some of it in Deming were a buddy was a chili farmer……man I love chili roasting time….im in the roasted chili camp! lol
The smell of chilis roasting is like none other. Thanks

• Love
Reactions: civilsmoker
First , glad you enjoyed the throwdown, I really enjoy playing in them . And fun is the right word ( even though sometimes I stress myself out ) lol

Great looking soup and process.
Don't ever worry about a long post , that is what I and others like . Pictures and your way of doing.

Glad you had fun in the TD, and keep on joining them. The friendly competition is good for us all.

David

Fantastic looking soup J, I'm in the same boat. I like heat, but my wife can't handle it. She starts sweating when she has a few BBQ potato chips.

Terrific entry.
Point for sure
Chris

And fun is the right word ( even though sometimes I stress myself out ) lol

StReSs WhAt'S sTrEsS

I was hoping you would post this one. Just an excellent entry!! I bookmarked this. I'm going to order some of those peppers and make this for sure. I'd trade you a bowling of mine for yours any day!! Your presentation was spot on as well. With this being your first one I can't wait to see more of yours in the future

Glad you enjoyed the TD. They are a lot of fun and seeing what folks come up with is always interesting. Thanks for the long post :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_wink: makes it easy to copy your results! Loved my time in NM when everyone was roasting the peppers!
And I can only imagine how great your house smelled while that great looking chili was cooking!

Jim

I'm going to order some of those peppers and make this for sure.
The Pueblo's might be harder to find, but I'm sure it's doable especially when they are in season. Hatch chilis are more common and easier to find for sure. May have to stock up, so I can sent some out.

Reactions: jcam222
Fantastic looking soup J, I'm in the same boat. I like heat, but my wife can't handle it. She starts sweating when she has a few BBQ potato chips.

Terrific entry.
Point for sure
Chris

StReSs WhAt'S sTrEsS
Ya, de-veining the chilis is the worst part. And same my wife thinks lettuce is hot. Lol 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky