Roasted Green Chile Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
We make sausage every year from fresh roasted green Chile. These are Colorado Pueblo chilies, add some cheese and it’s ON!

This was 1 1/2 Kg or roughly 3 1/2 pounds fresh ground pork.

This is a simple sausage. We add .5 % salt, .5% Knorr chicken bouillon granules, .25% cure #1 , thick Tillamook shredded sharp cheddar at 130g, then chopped Pueblo chilies at about 95g ( this varies per heat desired) granulated garlic at .4% then black pepper to eyeball but will run about .4% as well. Supper delicious sausage.

IMG_1627.jpeg

IMG_1628.jpeg

IMG_1629.jpeg

Then the fry test. So good.

IMG_1630.jpeg

We make sausage every year from fresh roasted green Chile. These are Colorado Pueblo chilies, add some cheese and it’s ON!

This was 1 1/2 Kg or roughly 3 1/2 pounds fresh ground pork.

This is a simple sausage. We add .5 % salt, .5% Knorr chicken bouillon granules, .25% cure #1 , thick Tillamook shredded sharp cheddar at 130g, then chopped Pueblo chilies at about 95g ( this varies per heat desired) granulated garlic at .4% then black pepper to eyeball but will run about .4% as well. Supper delicious sausage.

View attachment 676178
View attachment 676179
View attachment 676180
Then the fry test. So good.

View attachment 676181
Ok you just injected the idea of hatch green chili sausages into my brain. I bought 2 cases and didn't know how I would use up the like nearly 40 pounds of peppers. Sausage is now on the menu boys :D !!!!!

View attachment 676183
This is what I use. The sharper the cheese the dryer it is. This happens to be both dry and thick cut. Perfect for sausage.
I use it in all my sausages following Eric's advice. It stays put and doesn't melt out. I cheaped out out on the last batch of jalapeno cheddar sausage I did and it melted out. I thought it was fat out at first, but still had well defined fat particles in the meat and it was the cheap cheese that melted out. I have never had it happen with Tillamook.

I use it in all my sausages following Eric's advice. It stays put and doesn't melt out. I cheaped out out on the last batch of jalapeno cheddar sausage I did and it melted out. I thought it was far out at first, but still had well defined fat particles in the meat and it was the cheap cheese that melted out. I have never had it happen with Tillamook.
Yup. That’s experience talking. Use good quality sharp or long aged cheese. Works perfectly.

Reactions: DougE
I cube brick cheese and dry in the fridge for a few days before making sausage.
I use Crystal Farms cheese as it is much better quality than other store cheese and cheaper than Tillamook.
Next round I will put through the shredder and dry overnight and toss in potato starch to replicate the Tillamook shreds.

I cube brick cheese and dry in the fridge for a few days before making sausage.
I use Crystal Farms cheese as it is much better quality than other store cheese and cheaper than Tillamook.
Next round I will put through the shredder and dry overnight and toss in potato starch to replicate the Tillamook shreds.
Yes sir, I have found no problem using sharp dry cheese in sausage. Tastes much better than high temp cheese and so much cheaper. It’s just more reasonable.

Will this be a smoke sausage or a fresh sausage? Either way-it looks fantastic! I also use sharp cheddar and dry it out 24-48 hours prior to mixing. Authentic cheese flavor, and it does not melt out.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Will this be a smoke sausage or a fresh sausage? Either way-it looks fantastic! I also use sharp cheddar and dry it out 24-48 hours prior to mixing. Authentic cheese flavor, and it does not melt out.
I expect smoked since he has cure#1 in the recipe.

Yes sir, I have found no problem using sharp dry cheese in sausage. Tastes much better than high temp cheese and so much cheaper. It’s just more reasonable.
Good to know. I've been using hi temp in snack sticks and I agree. The taste is no where near decent cheese.
I absolutely love green chilis. The only ones I can find around here are the 505 jars. I like the the idea of mixing some in sausage but I'm thinking it would be too soft and wet out of a jar.

The plan was to stuff and smoke, but I only made 1.5 Kg because that was the fresh grind (pork) I had on hand. Then we decided to fry up some corn tortillas and make tacos and used some of the sausage fried like burger for that. Was delicious. Now I’m not sure if I’ll stuff the rest or not. Hardly enough to get the stuffer dirty for but I still may. Might even use the jerky gun and make a few links to smoke.

Reactions: indaswamp
Good to know. I've been using hi temp in snack sticks and I agree. The taste is no where near decent cheese.
I absolutely love green chilis. The only ones I can find around here are the 505 jars. I like the the idea of mixing some in sausage but I'm thinking it would be too soft and wet out of a jar.
The thick “farm style” shreds work great in sticks and sausages, if you can’t get that then a block of sharp or extra sharp cheddar cubed up works well too just more work. Aged Gouda is great as well.

Ive had the 505 out of the jar before, “Young Guns” brand also has Hatch in a half gallon jug. They add a preservative like lime juice so the flavor is a little different but I think they would work ok in sausage, I say try it.

Looks pretty tasty. I all ready miss Hatch pepper season.
Did you put any Chile in the freezer Brian? I’d never make through winter without it.

Looks great and I'm sure the flavor is mouthwatering!
Thanks Jeff. Yes the flavor is very good. I also make a sausage using a green salsa made from blended roasted tomatillo, roasted green Chile, roasted onion and garlic and cilantro, add chicken bouillon fresh cracked BP and a little water, blend that up and you can braise meat in it, or eat it from the table fresh or add it to ground meat for sausage.

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky