Old Style Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Got 9oz of fresh back fat weighed.
bfat.JPG

Mixed kosher with cure #2. In container with lid for 2 weeks...Stay tuned.
bfat1.JPG

You can reduce this recipe down for a 5lb batch like I did here.
SEE NOTE 2.

Dry-cured old style summer sausage

10 lbs

6lb pork butt
3 lb lean beef
1 ln pork back fat
7.5 Tb non iodized salt
1 1/2 cup fermento
2 tsp cure 2...SEE NOTE 1....SEE NOTE 1....SEE NOTE 1
3 Tb powdered dextrose
3 Tb corn syrup solids
1 Tb ground black pepper
1 Tb ground mustard seed
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp granulated garlic

2 LBS. OF BACK FAT
1/2 cup Instacure No. 2
1-3/4 cups salt

NOTE 1: Reserve 2 tsp of the cure 2 for the above recipe.
NOTE 2: HALF ALL OF THE ABOVE FOR A 5 LB BATCH.

Before making this summer sausage, you must first dry-salt the back fat for 2 weeks in order for the cure it properly. The back fat should be held at 38-40* using the salt/cure of, 1/2 cup cure 2 and 1 3/4 cup salt.

Rub the entire piece of back fat with the salt/cure and place in a cool area for 2 weeks. Rub all the mix on all sides of the fat. You can use a container if you wish. After the fat is cured brush the salt cure off with a brush….DO NOT RINSE THE SALT OFF.

Grind the fat with a 3/16 plate…COLD FAT…Grind the beef and pork butt with a 1/4 plate. Mix the fat with the meat, add all the dry and mix well until you have a sticky even distribution. Pack the meat mix tightly into a tub or container making sure there are no air pockets in the meat pack. Cover the meat and place in cooler at 38-40* for at least 4 days but no longer than 6 days. Stuff the mix into 3 1/2” s 24” protein-lined collagen casings or 3 1/2” beef middles. Hang the SS in your dry area or dry fridge at 43-50* for 60-70 days with a humidity of 70-80%

Enjoy

How will you use it? Is it smoked and used for soups? or to flavor whole turkeys while in the oven? Also, I was assuming this was pork, but is it beef fat? Excuse all the questions...just very intrigued!

Pork back fat

Not going to eat it as some would think like this.
Old world style summer sausage.

Be patient grasshoppers

How will you use it? Is it smoked and used for soups? or to flavor whole turkeys while in the oven? Also, I was assuming this was pork, but is it beef fat? Excuse all the questions...just very intrigued!
Not for baking turkeys or soups not with the Cure #2 in it.

This morning my wife says "Hey what you doing with this fat in the container"

Oh chit

Took the fat and brushed all the cure/salt off, cut and cubed and put back in the freezer for grinding. (no rinse off)
IMG_7125.JPG

Cut for the grinder, now in the freezer for while.
IMG_7126.JPG

Got my dry ready for measuring.
IMG_7127.JPG

All mixed and ready for the mince.
IMG_7131.JPG

All mixed. Only used 1/4 cup cold distilled.
IMG_7132.JPG

Put wrap over the meat to keep out any air. This container will also get a top.
Put in fridge for 4 days but no longer than 6 days.
IMG_7133.JPG

Stuffing will be into protein line collagen middles.

BBL

Took wrap off and doing a quick hand mix.
Smells great.
IMG_7172.JPG

Re cover and back in fridge. Stuffing tomorrow.
IMG_7173.JPG

Reactions: JLeonard
I dont know if I will let mold grow.
I jumped the gun by a day early. These will get a few hours of cold smoke then in the cave for 50-70 days or until I get 30-40% loss.

Went into protein lined collagen middles.

IMG_7183.JPG

1706790399988.png

Excuse me for the questions, but I'm assuming that is some kind of smoke generator you have hooked up to your cabinet? What is it and how does it work?

View attachment 687440
Excuse me for the questions, but I'm assuming that is some kind of smoke generator you have hooked up to your cabinet? What is it and how does it work?
That is a Supllueer cold smoke generator 10L, works good but the air pump they have with it sux, im putting a better one on today for the cheese.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky