Potato Wrapped Beef Sausages And Gravy (Pics & Lotsa Dialog)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Hey David ( DRKsmoking DRKsmoking ) I managed to make it work and you're gonna LOVE this!! Now to the back story. I recently posted some lasagna wrapped Italian sausages and in that thread David and I chatted about my considering trying to do potato wrapped sausages. He is a genius where creativity with potatoes is concerned and had tried these. They did not meet his expectations so he shared a little of what he did and gave me a couple pitfalls to look out for. I've been thinking through it and finally decided to pull the trigger yesterday. It was a bit intimidating being that David is so over-the-top with potatoes and his came out less than he'd hoped for. What chance did I have to make it work? Not much but if I didn't at least try, it'd never happen.

Lay out a piece of aluminum foil (just to keep the counter clean) and on top of that (very hard to see) is a length of plastic wrap that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
001.jpg

Beef and jalapeno sausages. Hey SmokinAl SmokinAl you might recognize these :emoji_wink:
002.jpg

Peel and boil a couple of russet potatoes. Smash with the meat masher and add salt, pepper, chives, minced onion, garlic powder, and panko bread crumbs. Mix with the electric hand mixer till well incorporated.
003.jpg

Lay the potato mixture on the plastic wrap and roll it out with my small pizza dough roller.
004.jpg

I cut the sausages in half to make them easier to handle then made relief cuts in the back so they would lay down flat. First chunk of sausage onto the potatoes. Cross your fingers!!
005.jpg

Pick up the end of the plastic wrap and pull it away from you with one hand and putting a bit of pressure on the sausage/potato with the other hand to get it to stick together. So far, so good.
006.jpg

Using a very sharp knife cut most of the excess potato from the end of the sausage but leave a half inch or so hanging over to mold for closing the end.
007.jpg

All 4 of the chunks of sausage rolled with the potato mixture and onto a CI skillet.
008.jpg

Brush with egg wash and onto the grill.
009.jpg

About 20 minutes in. They are starting to firm up and taking on some color.
010.jpg

All done. I am happy!! Maybe it's just me but I think these look pretty good.
011.jpg

Plated, covered with beef and onion gravy, served with steamed broccoli and cheddar cream sauce. A simple plate but oh so gratifying.
012.jpg

You guessed it...cut shots.
013.jpg

014.jpg

Of all the weird meals I've done, I'd have to say this was one of the most fun. It was just so cool putting it together and seeing a couple weeks worth of thought come to fruition. Eating it was a blast too :emoji_laughing: This really was an outstanding meal. Now to some things of note. David said he used flour as a binder. For whatever reasons that his did not come out as he'd planned, it made no sense trying the same thing he did so I used the panko bread crumbs. He also noted that the sausages he used were too big, hence me cutting mine in half. I have a feeling that if I had not done that, the potato would have broken off due to the sausages flexing. On this next note, I have no way to validate it, just gut feeling but I didn't light up the grill till I put the sausages on. This way they would come up to temp slowly as the grill heated up. I can't help but thing they may have gone to pieces if they had been suddenly introduced to the extreme heat of lighting the grill in advance. All in all, I'd call this a success and Tracy absolutely loved this meal. Of course when she walked through the kitchen with the sausage rolls sitting on the counter, asked me what they were and I told her, I got "that look"...which all of us guys know :emoji_wink: I believe she thought I'd burnt my last brain cell with this one. Oh well, it was fun and one for the record books. Gotta run. Breakfast for my dearly beloved is needing to be done. Catch y'all on the next one.

Robert

Sausage, potatos, cant go wrong. When I read the title, I was expecting more of a fried variety than grilled, but that may not have worked now that I think about it

Well Robert , what can I say. But thank you for the plug.
You did a great cook and this is all you. It worked out great and glad my not so perfect helped you with yours :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum:

I am doing this this week again with a little twist again.

Your cut shot and gravy , well done, if I was there the 4 would be my plate . I hope you made more, lol

David

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I’m a bit naive but why roll the sausages in potatoes and top with gravy. Why not just make sausage, potatoes and gravy? Does the flavor change or is it more for presentation. Serious question. It looks extremely cool but seems like a lot of work for something that would normally be an easy meal.. you did a heck of a job creating something very neat.

Last edited:
Great post Robert!
The sausage rolls look incredible!
Dang it, I wish we hadn’t eaten that jalapeño beef sausage!
Nicely done as usual!!
Al

I’m a bit naive but why roll the sausages in potatoes and top with gravy. Why not just make sausage, potatoes and gravy? Does the flavor change or is it more for presentation. Serious question. It looks extremely cool but seems like a lot of work for something that would normally be an easy meal.. you did a heck of a job creating something very neat.

I cant speak for Robert tx smoker tx smoker , ( I don't think anyone can lol )

It's just one of those things , can it be done , than why not try. Just thinking outside of the box
Plus he is getting to have smoke flavour on the spuds
serious answer. :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_sunglasses:

David

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I can taste these while looking at them!! Thinking outside the box can lead to better recipes and ideas down the road. I enjoy experimental individuals as I am one myself. Keep the creative ideas coming, much appreciated.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I cant speak for Robert tx smoker tx smoker , ( I don't think anyone can lol )

It's just one of those things , can it be done , than why not try. Just thinking outside of the box
Plus he is getting to have smoke flavour on the spuds
serious answer. :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_sunglasses:

David
Thanks for the reply and that is kind of what I was thinking. I agree with others in that creative individuals make life better for all. Keep up the good work tx smoker. Your food always looks amazing!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
For many of us it’s a form of art. The plating topics comes up often so I’m going to post a thread on it for some links I’ve been reading. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/“eating-with-your-eyes”.319528/

Looks both cool and delicious!
Thank you Jeff. It was interesting but nothing compared to the masterpieces you put together.
You and DRKsmoking DRKsmoking are two of the most creative cooks going in my book.
I'll agree about David but not so much me. See....I'm in a small town in Central Texas. You my friend are in another galaxy far, far away from me.

Robert

Sausage, potatos, cant go wrong. When I read the title, I was expecting more of a fried variety than grilled, but that may not have worked now that I think about it
Thank you for the kind words and interesting that you mention frying. that had crossed my mind but I crossed it off pretty quickly. It would take a lot of oil to ensure that the rolls didn't stick and I was concerned that the rolls would soak up a lot of it and get kinda slimy.

Robert

Reactions: Kevin DeShazo
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky