Summer Sausage using Fermento and A-MAZE-N smoker tray

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

okie sawbones

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 11, 2014
Edgewood, TX
I thought I'd post my step-by-step making of this recipe, in case someone has thought of making summer sausage, but may have been hesitant. This was very easy to make, and it is delicious, even if I did make it myself.

Ukrainian Summer Sausage (without fermentation)

Ingredients for 10 lbs.

• 7 ½ lbs. chuck roast
  • 2 ½ lbs. pork butts
  • 5 Tbs. salt
  • 2 tsps. Cure #1
  • 1 Tbs. paprika
  • 1 Tbs. whole pepper
  • 2 small garlic cloves, pressed
  • 1 tsp. marjoram
  • 6 Tbs. powdered dextrose
  • 3/4 cup Fermento
  • 2 tsp. liquid smoke (yes, I like just a touch)

Instructions

• Grind pork through a ¼" grinder plate and beef through a 3/8" plate.
  • Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. I use a 20 lb. meat mixer, and give it about 60-70 turns.

7777.jpg
5555.jpg

• Using your meat stuffer, fill 2 ½ inch x 20-inch fibrous casings. Make sure you soak the fibrous casings in warm water for 30 minutes beforehand. You can also use 40-43 mm pork or beef casings if you like a snack cracker size.
  • Hang the sausages on a rack at room temperature of 70F for 2 hours. The sausages will have the surface dry and ready for smoking by that time. If still wet, let them dry for another hour or so.
4444.jpg
3333.jpg

• Put the sausages in the smoker preheated to 165F and apply heavy smoke for 3 hours. I like to use two smoker trays filled with hickory pellets.
  • Continue cooking until the internal sausage temperature reaches 152F. You may need to gradually raise the smoker temperature to 180F to achieve that. You can also poach in 165F water.
  • Remove the sausages from the smoker and hang at room temperature (70F) overnight to cool.
2222.jpg
8888.jpg

• Air dry the sausages at 50-60F and RH of 70-75% until about 15% weight loss is achieved. The sausage is ready to eat at this point. (I do not do this step.)
  • And the finished product.
1111.jpg

Attachments

• 7777.jpg
    7777.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 4
Yup , looks good . Nothing wrong with liquid smoke . It's a great add .
Just bought some Powdered buttermilk to revisit using it .

Reactions: okie sawbones
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky