Smoked Jalapeño Cheddar Sausage - 1st attempt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ceeaton

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 16, 2024
Southcentral PA
Ever since I first visited this site (I think I followed a link for Lebanon Bologna), I've been having some fun. Have made 2 iterations of summer sausage (one fermented one with ECA), fermented pepperoni, a few eye round pastrami, some back bacon, some regular bacon, Lebanon bologna, and various sausages. Have never made a cheddar jalapeño sausage since my wife isn't really into spicy things, but my son and daughter are, so why not. I know a lot around here visit the Two Guys and a cooler site, so I decided to try their recipe.

https://twoguysandacooler.com/jalapeno-cheddar-sausage/ (hope it's okay to post that)

Followed the recipe pretty much spot on, but substituted some fatty pork butt and 80/20 ground chuck from the butcher (on my way home from work, very dangerous). Also didn't have any cream so used whole milk, seemed to work fine. My jalapeños were de-seeded in hopes I could get my wife to try the sausages. Also, I get up early each morning during the week, so there was an overnight sit in the fridge after drying them (after image #2) so I'd have enough time to smoke and slowly raise the temperatures in the smoker.

Stuffed.

3-12-24_jalapeno-cheddar.jpg

Dried.

3-12-24_jalapeno-cheddar-2.jpg

Smoked, then cooked to 154*F.

3-13-24_jalapeno-cheddar-4.jpg

Cooled.

3-13-24_jalapeno-cheddar-5.jpg

Vacuum sealed.

3-13-24_jalapeno-cheddar-7.jpg

Yum.

Thanks for all the info/ideas you guys/gals post here, I appreciate it most every day.

Dang. These look great. I'm preparing to make my first batch in the next couple weeks or so as well. Great job! How was the heat level with the seedless Jalepenos? My son doesn't like spicy food either. I was thinking of splitting the batter in half and adding Jalepenos to some and not for the rest.

Reactions: JLeonard
Dang. These look great. I'm preparing to make my first batch in the next couple weeks or so as well. Great job! How was the heat level with the seedless Jalepenos? My son doesn't like spicy food either. I was thinking of splitting the batter in half and adding Jalepenos to some and not for the rest.
Jalapeño flavor was excellent, heat was really mild. I wanna make a batch and leave the seeds in about 1/2 the peppers. But as always, when you buy them you never know what the heat level is gonna be. I normally grow a bunch in the summer, but I run out around the holidays.

Looking good! I've been making Jalapeno Cheddar using Chud's recipe. Sometimes brisket trimmings and pork butt, sometimes just pork butt. Its a pretty amazingly good sausage and I cannot seem to keep enough of them in my freezer. Use the cream next time, makes a difference!

Reactions: ceeaton
Looking good! I've been making Jalapeno Cheddar using Chud's recipe. Sometimes brisket trimmings and pork butt, sometimes just pork butt. Its a pretty amazingly good sausage and I cannot seem to keep enough of them in my freezer. Use the cream next time, makes a difference!
Thank you for the cream advice. I normally have some around but I think my wife used it all, she's a big tea drinker. I love Brad's recipes, his videos are a hoot!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky