Potato Vs. Corn Starch

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
IMG_1850.jpeg

Today was in a conversation with Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke about possibly replacing potato starch with corn starch in a sausage recipe. I really didn’t think that corn starch would have as strong of a gel as does potato starch, but honestly I’ve never used corn starch in a sausage recipe. So when you don’t know, there is only one way to know and that is to do it yourself.

I tried to replicate something normal in a sausage recipe at about 2 Kg meat. With two separate bowls I added 200ml of cold water to each, then added 45g of cornstarch to one and 45g potato starch to the other and whisked smooth. I then put one bowl in the microwave and nuked in 30 sec intervals whisking each time and checking temperature. Wanting to land somewhere in the 150-155* range as would be normal IT in cooked sausage. They both stayed liquid until above 145* and were gelled by 150* here are the gel results.

Potato starch gel is very much gelatin and sticky as well as clear.
IMG_1849.jpeg

The corn starch gelled but is white and has a consistency of slightly warmed lard.

IMG_1848.jpeg

So while corn starch will probably work, the potato starch is a much more powerful gel and a great addition to some sausage styles. I use potato starch anytime I want or need a binder, I’ve always been happy with those results, I’m not thinking I will try corn starch now, but if that’s all you have I’m sure it will work. I hope this information helps some of you.

Nice comparison Eric.
Not a big fan of corn starch and wife can get a food allergy reaction at times.
I need to do a comparison between starch based binders and protein based binders.
I've got a high protein pea isolate powder that is destined for a future sausage concoction, too.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I use corn starch for gravies and soups, never see the Potatoe starch but will have a look and try it out,

I use corn starch for gravies and soups, never see the Potatoe starch but will have a look and try it out,
Bob's Red Mill potato starch is available in many stores including my local (Florida) Walmart, too.
Wife prefers potato starch as a thickener in soups over corn starch or wheat flour.
She's not a traditional gravy fan so that is a rare menu item. I do make sausage gravy with flour.
I mostly use potato starch as wheat flour needs to get boiled to activate and that overcooks a bisque.

Thanks, somebody had a rack with Bobs Redmill products in it, will open my eyes and might see it , I get in a lane and not see anything else lol

Wow, strange timing. I just returned from the store with a package of Bob's Red Mill potato starch. The dude from "2 Guys & A Cooler" uses it frequently, so I've been curious. Does anybody have any recommendations on percentages? Thanks.

Wow, strange timing. I just returned from the store with a package of Bob's Red Mill potato starch. The dude from "2 Guys & A Cooler" uses it frequently, so I've been curious. Does anybody have any recommendations on percentages? Thanks.
Don't have my notes handy but I think I use 4 or 5% in the sausages I use it in.

Reactions: zachyweezer
Thank y'all for the info. How does it stack against NFMP? Is it a more economical option?
I haven't used NFMP since you have to order the high temp. stuff online. I can get Bob's Red Mill potato starch at the grocery store. Many grocery stores have Bob's Red Mill products on the shelf.

Reactions: zachyweezer
I haven't used NFMP since you have to order the high temp. stuff online. I can get Bob's Red Mill potato starch at the grocery store. Many grocery stores have Bob's Red Mill products on the shelf.
I've been hearing that the high temp stuff is really the best for sausage making. It makes me wonder if the grocery store offerings have been doing much of anything for me.

Just watched. Can't believe I've been buying the wrong stuff for so long. Although I'm kicking myself for not doing the research, I'm happy that my technique has been decent enough to produce some good sausages with essentially no binder. Can't wait to try out the potato starch. I think I'll do 3% starting out.

Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky