First Brisket...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Good looking brisket!

I'm sure it was worth the wait!

as far as the price of that meat, that's why i pay in NC for a trimmed flat. for a packer i pay about $3.28/# for choice/select at walmart.... $3.58/# prime at sams club... those are pre covid prices

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Oh my heavens. Tastebud heaven. Coulda used a few extra mins but 200° was where I pulled it. Very tender, but a few spots require an extra tug.
View attachment 444828View attachment 444829View attachment 444830

Congrats on your first brisket success!

Briskets really dont care what temp you cook them at and with them taking so long I always go 275F smoker temp.

Also at over 8-9pounds at a smoker temp of 275F with the brisket naked the whole time and not opening the smoker, I get a little over an hour a pound in estimation for pre-trimmed weight.
So if i buy a 15 pound brisket and trim it down to 12 pounds it will take about 16 hours for me.

As you learned you dont cook brisket by time. You use a thermometer to tell you when to start checking for tenderness. When it is tender all over that is when it is done.
The thing about my temp and cooking time is that a 15 pound brisket will take 16 hours or so I add on 4 for hours and that means I need to throw the brisket in a hot smoker 20 hours before I want to eat :)

So if I want to eat at noon I plan to have the brisket come out at 8am which means in this case 20 hours before 8am is Noon the day before I want to eat it.
If the brisket needs more time it has 4 hours of spare time. If it finishes 4 hours early then I double wrap in foil, wrap in 3 bath towels, and set on the counter to rest for 4 hours and when I unwrap it is piping hot and ready to eat!

Anyhow, I'm happy for your success and as briskets usually do, it taught you a thing or two hahaha :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky