BRISKET SOS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If it can get defrosted a bit to cut it. I would cut it into about 3-4 inch thick crosscut chunks.
Put in a pan and cover with foil and add a little water to the bottom. It should obviously be seasoned
Turn the oven up to 425F.

A brisket doesn't care what temp you are cooking it at as long as you aren't burning it.
If it's a flat muscle then it will need some liquid to not dry out, hence adding water and covering tightly with foil.

Cook that sucker and let the steam and pressure do it's job until it's tender.
Not sure it will happen in time, but this is the best shot since you report there being no other options.

Just know the best she can hope for is a beef pot roast flavor but it will taste good and be edible.

I hope this info helps :D
Thank you. It is a matter of doing the best possible. I hesitated advising high temp and they might be sitting down right now so I don’t know if they got the larger part to temp. She said the smaller part (part is the flat) looked pretty good. Maybe in hindsight cranking to high temp would have been better. Standby for final update.

Reactions: tallbm
Unless you have a giant sous vide to control l that water temp it sounds like a recipe for a bacteria bath to me. Perhaps I'm just overly cautious.

Any temp is OK for 4 hours (because the USDA likes very simple rules that encompass the worst case scenarios.) The underlying logic to the suggestion is that the internal meat of the brisket is sterile, and the external few millimeters that might be contaminated are over 140F within a few minutes in a 375F oven. It was a perfectly safe suggestion. Of course, like everyone I would prefer defrosting at 40F, but in this "emergency" case it would have still been frozen well past midnight.

All too late now, but I hope the OP's daughter hosted a successful dinner.

Reactions: 617Smoker
Morning after update: it worked! Both pieces got to probe tender. she overheard a comment from one of the kids that it was the best brisket he ever had. The larger piece with the point cooked for seven hours in all, mostly at 325, about 2 hours at 350. Always uncovered. She says it even developed a nice crust (is it bark if it’s in the oven?) anyway thanks for all the help and lesson learned-order the brisket earlier!!! The other dishes came together fine with some help. She says it was a very stressful day but was very happy in the end. Thanks to everyone’s help she appreciated the support. Here’s the final result.

Attachments

• IMG_0403.jpeg
    IMG_0403.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 25
If it can get defrosted a bit to cut it. I would cut it into about 3-4 inch thick crosscut chunks.
Put in a pan and cover with foil and add a little water to the bottom. It should obviously be seasoned
Turn the oven up to 425F.

A brisket doesn't care what temp you are cooking it at as long as you aren't burning it.
If it's a flat muscle then it will need some liquid to not dry out, hence adding water and covering tightly with foil.

Cook that sucker and let the steam and pressure do it's job until it's tender.
Not sure it will happen in time, but this is the best shot since you report there being no other options.

Just know the best she can hope for is a beef pot roast flavor but it will taste good and be edible.

I hope this info helps :D
I think in hindsight she should have covered it and cranked it up and then it would have been done in plenty of time but at least she’d know it was done. But it worked! See update at the endn

Reactions: chopsaw
Morning after update: it worked! Both pieces got to probe tender. she overheard a comment from one of the kids that it was the best brisket he ever had. The larger piece with the point cooked for seven hours in all, mostly at 325, about 2 hours at 350. Always uncovered. She says it even developed a nice crust (is it bark if it’s in the oven?) anyway thanks for all the help and lesson learned-order the brisket earlier!!! The other dishes came together fine with some help. She says it was a very stressful day but was very happy in the end. Thanks to everyone’s help she appreciated the support. Here’s the final result.
The touch of SMF on any brisket makes it taste better. Glad it worked out. I didn't comment as I first saw this too late but would have suggested get a second defrosted brisket and go that route. Glad she pulled it off.

Glad it all turned out ok!

Yeah I will cut brisket into big trips/chunks and roast in the oven elevated in a pan uncovered and it comes out with bark and tastes great! Comes out like if I smoked it but with no smoke.
This is how I know my recommendation of cutting it into those strips would have been good to go :D

Personally I would not cover it the whole time and avoid covering it for as long as I could, but in her emergency case with a partially frozen brisket I was pretty confident that it would get cooked if cut into strips, added some liquid, and covered with foil. Again the only issue is that you now have beef pot roast instead of brisket but hey, it's cooked, tasting good, and edidble on time in an emergency situation :D

No emergency, just pop that sucker in the oven and treat it like it's being smoked but obviously there is no smoke applied. You will have an amazing brisket with texture and bark like if it was done in the smoker.
I know because I've done it a number of times because.... I might have been lazy. Oooh or pressed for time, yeah pressed for time, that's why :D

Can't wait to hear about the next one :D

Glad that it worked out for her, and it was a crowd pleaser.
Being a veteran of the the war against Stallin’, I do my briskets and butts the day before… or I add a lot of time at the front end. Hungry people with access to knives… things can get dicey.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky