First Brisket...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I thought you said it was done??
Was it probe tender?

As far as pit temp, how do you your coals look? Do they look spent? If so, you need to add another lit chimmney...about half full should do it.

And make sure the temp drop wasn't due to taking the lid off. It takes time for the heat to recover after removing the lid.

Reactions: MileHighSmokerGirl
I thought you said it was done??
Was it probe tender?

As far as pit temp, how do you your coals look? Do they look spent? If so, you need to add another lit chimmney...about half full should do it.

And make sure the temp drop wasn't due to taking the lid off. It takes time for the heat to recover after removing the lid.

i already added a chimney and a half. It didnt do anything after 20 mins.

Just added one more. Going now. Temp rising

i already added a chimney and a half. It didnt do anything after 20 mins.

Just added one more. Going now. Temp rising

Okay.
You coud open the intake vent to full open for faster temp increase then close it back down to maintain the 250 pit temp. If it spikes, no worries, let the temp decrease on it's own.

idk what probe tender means.

vents are all open

The best way to describe probe tender is when you insert a bbq skewer, toothpick, or the probe on an instant read thermometer, it slides in with little resistance.
You will feel slight resistance from when you pierce the bark, but after that it should feel like going into a jar of peanut butter or a stick of butter at room temperature.

The best way to describe probe tender is when you insert a bbq skewer, toothpick, or the probe on an instant read thermometer, it slides in with little resistance.
You will feel slight resistance from when you pierce the bark, but after that it should feel like going into a jar of peanut butter or a stick of butter at room temperature.

got my lavatools javelin pro thermometer out. It went in easy after minimal resistance. Reads 174° but my inkbird says 189°.

What is your chamber temp reading now?

223° pit

174° internal meat temp

got my lavatools javelin pro thermometer out. It went in easy after minimal resistance. Reads 174° but my inkbird says 189°.

223° pit

174° internal meat temp

Go by the Inkbird. Their probes are usually dead nuts on.
If you have calibrated them, just remember to calculate the delta for boiling point for differences in elevation above mean sea level (MSL) and for barometric pressure.

If the probe went in easy, and I mean very easy, then you are there.
If it were me, I would let the Inkbird probe ride up to 195 degrees.
200-206 degree is a guideline for doneness.
Each piece of meat is different and has a mind of its own.

Ran out of time. Pulled from smoker, double wrapped in foil, threw in oven at 250°.
Have to go to town early in the morning.

hope its done soon. Im ticked and starving.

Great back up plan.
The brisket will tun out fine.
Keep in mind that at your elevation (Denver area I am assuming), that maintaining temps on a smoker can be a bit challenging due to the elevation etc.
I had to relearn when things when I moved from 1200 MSL to an elevation of about 3300 MSL.

Whatever you do, do not beat yourself up if the brisket does not turn out perfectly.
Lord knows we've all been there and we learn.
That is what makes us strive for betterment.
Post up some pics when/if you get the chance.

And at 172 degrees it is still in the stall. I've had 'em stall for 4 to 5 hours.
It is what it is.

Whatever you do, do not beat yourself up if the brisket does not turn out perfectly.
Lord knows we've all been there and we learn.
That is what makes us strive for betterment.
Post up some pics when/if you get the chance.

And at 172 degrees it is still in the stall. I've had 'em stall for 4 to 5 hours.
It is what it is.

holy hell. I need to eat and go to bed. :(

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky