First brisket -w/Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tpc74

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 8, 2012
Berkley, MI
So today I attempted my first brisket. Really should say my first one that has actually came out, but at a minimum my first whole packer.

I’d like to give a special shoutout to civilsmoker for all his guidance and help and basically putting up with me along the way lol. It would not have turned out this good without his help.

First I trimmed it. I’ve never trimmed any brisket before. Pretty much butchered it in my opinion but it’s my first time lol.

IMG_0564.jpeg

IMG_0562.jpeg

Saved some of the fat trimmings on civils suggestion to render and use to dress the meat later on.

IMG_0563.jpeg

Only did salt and pepper. The pellet for the smoke will be a mesquite blend by pit boss. PB was because it’s what I had easily available and it’s the flavor the wife wanted.

IMG_0565.jpeg

IMG_0566.jpeg

On the smoker at 3 am this morning. Set to 235 degrees.

IMG_0567.jpeg

Pulled it off about 170 degrees to wrap in foil. Poured some of the rendered fat over the brisket and wrapped it up. About 10 am.

IMG_0568.jpeg

Put the brisket and the pan of trimmings back on and left until we hit 198 degrees. I don’t have an exact time for that of the top of my head. I want to say 1 - 1:30 pm ish?

Pulled the brisket off and placed into towels and a cooler. Poured off the rendered tallow into a cup for dressing later. Started to slice around 5pm. Meat was at about 150 degrees.

IMG_0569.jpeg

IMG_0570.jpeg

Meal was outstanding. The tallow dressing over the meat with a little salt was perfect. Everyone loved it. First time ever I’ve been happy with a brisket. :)

Another shoutout to the guys who suggested the knife sets to me in another thread. I chose the pitboss set and also grabbed a sharpener. Knives worked great for trimming (though I sucked at it haha), and for slicing. I did need to sharpen and hone them both before use.

The meat was perfectly tender and you could fold a slice without it snapping, but still cut it with a fork…I think I saw that on a show somewhere as an indication of doing something right haha. Still not sure if it cut against the grain properly but however I did it turned out to be fine.

The meat was perfectly tender and you could fold a slice without it snapping, but still cut it with a forkI think I saw that on a show somewhere as an indication of doing something right haha. Still not sure if it cut against the grain properly but however I did it turned out to be fine.
The world needs more of this!!!!!!!

Big like!

(more pepper lol)

Nicely done. Regarding grain direction. Take note of it during prep. Easiest way is the slice off a small piece from the flat against the grain direction. This will give you a nice line to follow after its been smoked. Another way is to identify grain direction with a toothpick or two.

Last edited:
Nice work . You're on your way now .
Still not sure if it cut against the grain properly but however I did it turned out to be fine.
Matt beat me to it above . You can see in the first pic which way the grain is running .
Clip off the corner in the direction of your slice before going in the smoker .
Across the grain will expose the ends of the long muscle fiber .
Looks like this ,
20210307_174229.jpg

Looks great to me! As stated, clip the corner so you know the grain. I always cook the corner and any other meat I trim off in the prep and eat it as snacks during the cook.

Reactions: jaxgatorz and tpc74
Very nice work. And you had a great coach.
When you prep or trim the meat you can see the grain structure of the meat very well, this is a good time to slice an inch or so off of a corner across the grain. This way when it’s all done you can now see clearly the direction to continue slicing the flat. The point should be removed when slicing and generally is sliced opposite direction as the flat, although if you cook the brisket right, like you have, even slicing a little with the grain will still be fork tender. Again nice work.

Reactions: jaxgatorz and tpc74
I'd say you nailed it! Looks great to me on the grain slice and I too prefer cut with a fork and not just fall apart.

Great idea with the tallow as well, we love that stuff!

Reactions: tpc74
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky