First Brisket...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MileHighSmokerGirl

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 29, 2019
Denver, CO
Bought a 6.56 lb flat from the Grocery Store, the price was regrettable but apparently meat is in low supply right now. (I did cut it in half because I can't eat that much myself, so I'll smoke the other half another day).
brisket1.jpg

Brined injected it with beef broth and rubbed one side down with kosher salt and black pepper.
brisket2.jpg

Rubbed the other side down before it was ready to go on the smoker.
fire.jpg

This is my first try at brisket. Had very good luck with everything else I have smoked so I’m optimistic.
smokerbrisket.jpg

smoker.jpg

A few early struggles with pit temps but back on track after TNJake assisted with a few pointers about vents and temp control. Thanks again Jake!
temps.jpg

Meat went on at 12:34 MDT.

Now we wait.

for now unwrapped. When it stalls, I’ll wrap it in foil till it hits 206° then pull it wrap it in some towels and set it in the cooler for 60-90 mins.

Okay.
On your next brisket smoke, if you aren't pressed for time, try doing it unwrapped all the way through the smoke.
Then wrap and rest in the cooler.
You will be rewarded with heavenly bark.

Reactions: MileHighSmokerGirl
Okay.
On your next brisket smoke, if you aren't pressed for time, try doing it unwrapped all the way through the smoke.
Then wrap and rest in the cooler.
You will be rewarded with heavenly bark.
I won’t wrap it then. I’ll just leave it. Not in any hurry.

Be careful with that plan. At 206 you may be overcooking it in the cooler

Chris

Ok, I will leave it as is.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Added 20-30 bricks because my fire dropped to 199°.

temp is only at 203°. Meat temp has been stuck at 171° for 2 hours.

5D34236D-57FC-4D8F-8DE7-0CA680A70B67.png

Advice? Help.

It's a flat that she cut in half. It needs a pan with broth and foil lid or its gonna be dry

Possibly depending on intactness of the fat cap and thickness of the flat.

The thinnest 1/4 end of the flat will be a bit crumbly which can make for some good sammies.
Or in my case, nibblins for the pup and cats.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky