Favorite meat to smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My fav is meat! And sometimes meat wrapped in puff pastry!

Smoked Spam? That’s interesting!

YES smoked spam is a thing and a very good thing in my book!!!!
2185C3E1-AC55-4202-8D72-80BA7B5CC9EB.jpeg
0B8DEAAF-7E6C-41D5-B643-010EB36DD70D.jpeg
70204D8E-58B3-47E2-8D07-490B42E9B554.jpeg
529FD462-C699-49BD-A487-5B8788B8814A.jpeg

I said I like to smoke meat!!!

Last edited:
Holiday smoked turkey with Pop's brine (see avatar) is my #1 favorite but for hot smoking for cooking, beef ribs.

For me, it's pork tenderloin (any style, but my favorite is stuffed with apple pie filling. After the tenderloin, it would be pork butt for pulled pork, followed by pork loin (when the loin is ready to eat, I cube it up and make burnt ends).
Apparently I eat a lot more pork than any other meat. LOL
Gary

Thanks for the welcome!

My apologies, I should have stated that better. Not Texas style but rather what is prevalent in Texas. I grew up in Fort Worth. Never heard of pulled pork until later in life. Definitely can do it in a Texas style, I agree. When I do try it out, I will do it like you said, or just salt and pepper. maybe a tad of paprika for color.

I hear you. I was born, raised, and live in Texas and pulled is/has not been common for most of my life and when you do see it, the pulled pork is nothing compared to the brisket or other items. It's usually just a side thought when they make it to fill small demand.

Yeah, salt, pepper, and paprika wont go wrong. It will take a few attempts for you to dial it in the way you like it but I think I gave you a good tried and true path to start with and make your own :)

Reactions: Displaced Texan
I hear you. I was born, raised, and live in Texas and pulled is/has not been common for most of my life and when you do see it, the pulled pork is nothing compared to the brisket or other items. It's usually just a side thought when they make it to fill small demand.

Yeah, salt, pepper, and paprika wont go wrong. It will take a few attempts for you to dial it in the way you like it but I think I gave you a good tried and true path to start with and make your own :)
Was perusing Aaron Franklin's YT channel. He has a video on Texas style, naturally, pulled pork. May give it a try tomorrow.

Was perusing Aaron Franklin's YT channel. He has a video on Texas style, naturally, pulled pork. May give it a try tomorrow.

Hahah after reading your post I just pulled up his video and watched it, I had never seen it before!
It's funny to see how we do it very very similarly.

We do basically the same seasoning, he adds a little more black pepper than I do but that's because he has more to spare than I do. I also smoke at 275F because a pork butt doesn't care about the temp so why go lower :)

Where we deviate is mostly due to using different types of smokes. I use an MES that doesn't need a water pan because it retains moisture very well and that also means no need to spritz at all for me.
Also using an MES I don't have to worry about preventing the pork butt from getting more smoke than I want, I have super tight smoke control and perfect smoke generation with the AMNPS and pellets where he is using a stick burner so smoke smoke smoke is what he gets.
This means I don't need to wrap my pork butts or briskets in foil so I dont :)

My final deviation/evolution is to cut/butterfly the pork butt from the meat side up till I hit the bone so I can get more seasoning, smoke/flavor, and bark going there with greater exposed service area. I give the butt... some butt cheeks hahaha.

Here is what mine look like, naked the whole time in an MES:
full?d=1562194172.jpg
Split Under side:
full?d=1562194172.jpg
All shredded:
full?d=1562194172.jpg

You are on the right path buddy! :)

Hahah after reading your post I just pulled up his video and watched it, I had never seen it before!

We do basically the same seasoning, he adds a little more black pepper than I do but that's because he has more to spare than I do. I also smoke at 275F because a pork butt doesn't care about the temp so why go lower :)

Where we deviate is mostly due to using different types of smokes. I use an MES that doesn't need a water pan because it retains moisture very well and that also means no need to spritz at all for me.
Also using an MES I don't have to worry about preventing the pork butt from getting more smoke than I want, I have super tight smoke control and perfect smoke generation with the AMNPS and pellets where he is using a stick burner so smoke smoke smoke is what he gets.

My final deviation/evolution is to cut/butterfly the pork butt from the meat side up till I hit the bone so I can get more seasoning, smoke/flavor, and bark going there with greater exposed service area. I give the butt... some butt cheeks hahaha.

View attachment 470821
Split Under side:
View attachment 470822
All shredded:
View attachment 470823

That looks great, and thank you, sir!

Reactions: tallbm
I started doing your butterfly method a few months ago and it added so much more flavor to the butts. Thanks for this innovation!

Reactions: tallbm
I started doing your butterfly method a few months ago and it added so much more flavor to the butts. Thanks for this innovation!

Yeah, it's crazy how much more flavor you get!!! No more needing to add finishing sauce or shake in more seasoning, its just ready to pull and takes an already good approach to smoking a pork butt and makes it like WOW amazing instead of regular amazing haha :D

Reactions: MJB05615
Yeah, it's crazy how much more flavor you get!!! No more needing to add finishing sauce or shake in more seasoning, its just ready to pull and takes an already good approach to smoking a pork butt and makes it like WOW amazing instead of regular amazing haha :D
Exactly, WOW amazing. LOL. And thanks for the like as well as the info.

Wow... That;s like asking which of my kids is my favorite. (BTW, it depends on which one has been off my S^^^List the longest)
My favorite meat is generally whatever I did last. Right now it's pork butts.

My favorite in my brief smoking career was the first pork shoulder I smoked a week ago.

Stuffed pork loin today and tri tip tomorrow so we’ll see.

View attachment 470821
Split Under side:
View attachment 470822
All shredded:
View attachment 470823

so with the butterfly method---You split underneath--as in the fat side? About how deep? I was looking for instructions but being new--hard to find. Thanks in advance

so with the butterfly method---You split underneath--as in the fat side? About how deep? I was looking for instructions but being new--hard to find. Thanks in advance

Below is my post on it with all kinds of pics and info.

In short, you have the fat side of a pork butt and the meat side of the pork butt.
0001094_berkshire-pork-bone-in-boston-butt_882.jpg
Nd9GcSJ2Y4IsAkCJ1l9YcLZNU8hZHfk84JFJ008dQ&usqp=CAU.jpg

From the meat side, position the butt like the immediate image above. Cut a slice into the middle of the pork butt starting at the top and go to the bottom. (top of picture to bottom of picture)
Cut into the butt until the knife hits the bone then keep the whole cut about that deep. It's not a super precise cut or anything.
The whole goal is to hit the bone and have the cut where you can butterfly out the meat enough to season in there and set it on the rack somewhat butter flied.

When it is on the rack it is slightly buttered flied with seasoning all in there AND gives more surface area and the ability for the smoke to now penetrate that deep in and into the meat surrounding the split. If you didn't do this then all of that meat in there would likely get NO seasoning, bark, or smoke penetration or much flavor deep in there.
This approach solves those issues :)

Let me know if this helps :)

My full post below
VVVVVVVVVVVV

Reactions: MJB05615
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky