Eye of round

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CoolbreezeBBQ

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 1, 2020
Got a half roast, almost 2 lbs. any ideas on cooking it in Weber kettle? Or just better off slicing into 1-1/2 in steaks searing in cast iron skillet, and finishing in oven? I’d like to pull something edible off outdoors on kettle.

C1C9528E-D2EE-4D6C-9A93-2FAA8958C860.jpeg
33CE889C-BE6B-436E-B57B-B04966E8ACC5.jpeg

You could season the outside, smoke it to rare/medium rare (125-135) and slice it for pit beef sandwiches. Save the juice and a little horseradish on a bun, sandwich heaven!

Eyes are lean and grilled like a steak could be tough. if you can low and low it as long as possible it maybe more tender. Many (me included) have been sous vide cooking these for 24 hours...makes them fork tender.

Reactions: zwiller
Got a half roast, almost 2 lbs. any ideas on cooking it in Weber kettle? Or just better off slicing into 1-1/2 in steaks searing in cast iron skillet, and finishing in oven? I’d like to pull something edible off outdoors on kettle.

The best way to make an Eye Round is with Sous Vide.
However if you don't have one, or you want it Smoked, below is my favorite way, and slice it thin for Sammies:
Beef Lunchmeat from Eye Round

Bear
IMG_2677.jpg

Reactions: sandyut
Eyes are lean and grilled like a steak could be tough. if you can low and low it as long as possible it maybe more tender. Many (me included) have been sous vide cooking these for 24 hours...makes them fork tender.
I don’t have one of those sous vide, I figured it’s gonna be a tough cook when I bought it, but my local kroger only had 2 eye of round, and 2 bottom round roasts left in store. I wanted something to mess around with for something to do, so I got the smaller eye of round. Would the bottom round have been better choice? I wanted to do a tri tip but good luck finding one anywhere around here right now.

The eye is a great cut of beef , just don't over cook it . I do mine SV , smoked in the MES , on the kettle , and have done them in the 360 air fryer both on the roto and just on the rack .
Slice thin makes great sandwiches . I like mine around 130 ish , but still good at 140 if sliced thin .
I like to inject with Tony C's roasted garlic , but do them natural too . Both good .
Here's a couple links .

I don’t have one of those sous vide, I figured it’s gonna be a tough cook when I bought it, but my local kroger only had 2 eye of round, and 2 bottom round roasts left in store. I wanted something to mess around with for something to do, so I got the smaller eye of round. Would the bottom round have been better choice? I wanted to do a tri tip but good luck finding one anywhere around here right now.

That link I gave you was of a Smoked Eye Round.
I would always take an Eye Round over a Bottom Round.

Bear

I read it, much appreciated, thank you very much. When I do it probably tomorrow I will post good, or bad. Ended up being able to finally get haircut today and also golf 9 holes. Just gonna do chicken drumsticks on Weber kettle tonight. I don’t have that vortex. Probably just put Weber baskets together in middle, and see how that works out. Any suggestions for a good affordable slicing knife capable of thin slicing like that?

I read it, much appreciated, thank you very much. When I do it probably tomorrow I will post good, or bad. Ended up being able to finally get haircut today and also golf 9 holes. Just gonna do chicken drumsticks on Weber kettle tonight. I don’t have that vortex. Probably just put Weber baskets together in middle, and see how that works out. Any suggestions for a good affordable slicing knife capable of thin slicing like that?

LOL---I bought a Haircut Trimmer set, and cut my own, first time ever.
Looks Fine, but I never go anywhere but Drs, and I wear my Vietnam Vet hat when I go some place anyway. I may just keep doing it myself when this crap is over.

As for a slicer---Check "Chef's Choice". They have a big assortment of models & prices. #615, #645, Etc, Etc....

Bear

Marinated in water, table salt, beef broth, soy sauce, and Coca Cola overnight. Injected heavily with olive oil, beef broth, and water. Then rubbed with McCormick brown sugar and bourbon. On the kettle slow smoking now with one charcoal basket, and some hickory chunks. Gonna pull it off at 125, see what happens, expecting it to suck, but I’m having fun, and we’re hungry here
C6E3CD98-BD8C-461F-B519-27FE102269DB.jpeg
9F79D3CD-D8C0-4BC6-85B9-785131CF8A67.jpeg
A6044012-B92E-4833-93B1-4184370A0276.jpeg

Looks like a win to me. Add me to the SV for eye camp... Also, alot of guys here use eye exclusively for jerky.

Looks Great from where I'm sitting

Gary

Looks Just right!!
Awesome when sliced thin!!
Makes Great French Dip Sammies! Don't forget the Horseradish!!
Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky