48# of sirloin tip roasts inda smokehouse...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
So...sirloin tip roasts went on sale weds. for $2.99/lb...

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...ast-on-sale-2-99-lb-regularly-5-99-lb.300805/

I picked up 4 of them Friday to prep for smoking Saturday. Got 'em all seasoned up with a little Merlot Wine Steak Sauce and SPOG, then wrapped in saran wrap until the next day.
I always save the trim off the roasts to make my own stock for the Au Jus. I put the scraps (tendons and silver skin are the BEST-put those in contact with the bottom of the sheet pan so they brown very well) on a sheet pan along with the carrot, celery, garlic and onion then brown @425*F for about 45 minutes.
IMG_20200821_214757.jpg

When that is done, I put all that in a 2 gallon stock pot, deglaze the sheet pan with a little water and add that to the pot. Add about a gallon of water and let that simmer all night and the next day until the tendons are mush and fall apart into collagen.

IMG_20200822_134730.jpg

Today at noon, I pulled the roasts out of the ice chest to warm then got the fire going then prepped the pans for chef jimmyj chef jimmyj 's smokey au jus. Put the roasts on @1pm 250*F and they have been smoking with oak and hickory for about an hour....

Supplemental store bought beef stock warming on the stove with a little tomato paste (I like Swansons...I think it has the best flavor)

IMG_20200822_134615.jpg

1 hour in...

IMG_20200822_134449.jpg

Last edited:
Gonna be a lot of roast beef sammies!
Yes indeed!! We'll probably put down 3-4# of roast beef Sunday night when we do po-boys at the firehouse!

Truth be told-When I smoke roast beef, I always extend the offer to smoke for my uncles and cousins- if they want some. It's no trouble for me to put them on, I have plenty of room, and would rather run a full smokehouse anyways....

yep, gonna be some happy fellas for sure! And that au jus is gonna be tasty!

Ryan

Damn man you are just rolling out awesome cook one after the other!! Very nice!! I’m about to visit that firehouse.

yep, gonna be some happy fellas for sure! And that au jus is gonna be tasty!

Ryan
Thanks Brokenhandle. Credit for the smokey Au Jus goes to chef jimmyj...the recipe is posted in numerous threads on SMF.

Damn man you are just rolling out awesome cook one after the other!! Very nice!! I’m about to visit that firehouse.

Thanks jcam222....What can I say?? I love great food jcam222 and usually pull out all the stops to produce the best flavor I can. Being a super taster is a double edged sword....

Nice Beefy haul. Good price. Thanks for the shout out on the Smokey Au Jus. It's some good stuff to add to Beef or even to make Gravy, if you want Hot Beef Sandwiches. I love them with Mashed Potatoes, everything drowning in Gravy...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky