Z-Grills

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MNholla

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 24, 2019
Minnesota
Does anyone here have one of these wood pellet grills? I am getting bombed by ads on Facebook for them. Really cheap price point compared with similar rigs from other brands.

Reactions: Inkbirdbbq
They have actually been around for a while, building grills for the likes Traeger and others before they decided to market grills under their own name. Found mainly in big box stores they get okay reviews on Amazon and others. Not a high end grill by any means but if they fit your budget, they should work okay for a while.

Reactions: Blues1
As good as any Pit Boss or other budget pellet cooker. Pit Boss has the five year warranty though. I'm sure it'll work fine and they are very cost competitive. Worth it in my opinion as long as you keep it clean and are willing to do minor repairs. Those old style hoppers/controllers are very easy to work on. Usually just the ignitor rod or fan need to be changed out periodically.

The Safeway by me had one right next one of the checkout stands for about a month.
To me that says, "run away, don't walk!" But that's just me.

Don't know anything about them except my friend's son has one and loves it.

If you want an entry level pellet pooper, check out the Masterbuilt.
I got one from Sam's Club for under $200 and free shipping. Did my first smoke on it yesterday and pretty happy with the results. I had to do some fine tuning with the "smoke" setting.

I read a post somewhere that these are a scam.
They are no scam I have the typhoon 706 and love it. But I'm not new to hot smoking or cold smoking.
When my z grill dies I'll fix it or by another z grill.

The Safeway by me had one right next one of the checkout stands for about a month.
To me that says, "run away, don't walk!" But that's just me.
Far from the truth! I have a z grill typhoon 706. Works better then any grill smoke I've used! Read the story behind z grill smoker!

I picked up a Z-Grillz 7002 for $325 at a Christmas sale in 2018. The temp controller was DOA. I emailed the company and they sent me a new controller straight away. It's simple with no bells or whistles, but I was new to smoking when I got it and didn't know any better. It does a fine job and for the price I'm happy.

I started my pellet journey on a Z grill. Only reason I sold it was because it was a bit small. But it was really nice. There are a few Z-grill Facebook groups with people who swear by them. Customer service was good too. Not a scam at all.

Does anyone here have one of these wood pellet grills? I am getting bombed by ads on Facebook for them. Really cheap price point compared with similar rigs from other brands.

I have one. They are not a scam. While I obviously haven't compared it to any others since I only own the one, it is a very nice pellet grill. It is solidly built with good materials. Not very good insulation as it's single-walled, but that's to be expected at the price range. Every review I've seen on them also sees it score high on value.
Apparently the ZGrill guys used to work for Traeger but thought Traegers were over-priced so broke off on their own. They seem a bit ostracized in the pellet grill world, and I wonder if that isn't why. They also only seem to sell direct, which might hurt their exposure.
I've seen a few pitmasters use ZGrills in their videos (Slap Yo Mama for example in his rib videos).

I just ordered a new Z-Grill and should get it this week. I called the company just for a question and they returned my call the very next morning, I'd say that is pretty good. You can find all kinds of issues with any pellet smoker, just look at Facebook sites. I was almost going Camp Chef 36 Pro due to a friend buying one. But I looked at his and read some others post of issues and poor service, same with Rec Tec. I look at the build quality and they are all made in China, unless you have a model made before 2018. Issue I had with the Camp Chef pro was the price and upon looking at it, the cheapness of casters, $1500 for phenolic 2 inch casters? My Z-Grill is the 11002B (LIST on site @$1200.00) and bought through Sams, for $699 w/free delivery, includes 4 inch rubber casters. I read some great reviews by folks who have the same model so I went with it, saved me some cash. Again I think any grill will never please all or many, but Z-Grill is trying to make a decent product for a fair price. I guess I'll see how well mine does.

I've been looking at that 11002B at Sam's too. Seems like a great grill at a great price. My problem is I think I'd prefer the smaller 7052B. But its $50 more and doesn't include the cover which is another $100. I know most would say get the bigger grill, but I currently have the Chargriller 980 and quite frankly its too big for my needs. It seems to take so much more time and charcoal to get up to temp. The probe says 350 pretty quick, but the grate and chamber need more time. I previously had a Traeger Pro575 and that seemed a good size, and my recollection (which could be wrong!) is that I used a lot less pellet wise cooking on it than the bags of charcoal the 980 consumes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky