Your Favorite Spare Rib Temp?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jordon

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
Hello all!

I smoked some spare ribs last weekend that turned out great. The problem was that I was using a Brinkmann S&G, and the temp fluctuated from 200-300 the whole cook. I ended up doing 3-1.45-1. I cooked based on how they looked because of temp problems.

Now that I have an 18.5 WSM, I was looking to see what everyone did to make their favorite ribs?

So, what temp does everyone prefer? For how long?

The last year or so I have been running my smoker around 265* and 270* when smoking ribs. We'll and for that matter just about everything!

Used to do 225˚ like everyone said I should. Was never quite happy with the results (not enough fat rendering leading to greasy, heavy tasting ribs). Bumped my temp to 275˚ and like the result much better.## The fat renders out better, allowing the flavors of the meat and rub to be the star of the show. Another benefit is a shorter cook time, usually well under 4 hours total. I usually** do around 2 hours in the smoke, wrap for just under an hour then back on the grate for a half hour or so to firm up and set the sauce if I'm using it.

## I also add ginger to my rubs and sauce to counteract the heavy greasy flavors.

**All times are approximate and WILL be different for you. I usually leave the ribs in the smoke until they get the color I like. Depending on how they look before foiling, I adjust the time in foil based on pullback, tenderness, color, bark etc... I personally don't like a lot of pullback on my ribs, nor do I like "fall off the bone". I try to go for plump, juicy ribs that are ridiculously tender yet are still meaty and cling to the bone.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky