You Think Your Pork Prices Are High? How About $25 a Pound?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
Hehehee. It's our annual 4-H Junior Livestock sale.

cLp4cOf.jpg
This porker raised $5700.
16D5m3Z.jpg

I bet they still lost money over all, but its a great experience for the kids. My pork supplier is one of the big breeders for Berkshire and crosses here in Colorado and sells in 3 or 4 states around us. They travel the pig show circuit and always have pigs in various state fairs. It’s an expensive game.

Should taste good after being pampered, do the kids get some of that money?
Yes, the kids get the money and I believe they kick some up to 4-H. In years past they took samples before processing for fat content in hogs, and graded the beef. So there is some friendly competition there too.
I bet they still lost money over all, but its a great experience for the kids. My pork supplier is one of the big breeders for Berkshire and crosses here in Colorado and sells in 3 or 4 states around us. They travel the pig show circuit and always have pigs in various state fairs. It’s an expensive game.
Actually, it's a win-win kind of thing. From the kids point of view, it's a great hobby and they get credit within the club. Many raise more than one animal, so it's an educational experience as well. Some raise money for feed in various ways. The hardest thing it to not get too attached to your show animal.

Now, the buyers can keep the animals but quite a few donate the animals to our rescue mission, the senior center, or Meals on Wheels. A local processor does that for no charge.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky