Yet another smoked turkey thigh - brown stock injected

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by edward36, Jul 26, 2014.

1. edward36

edward36 Meat Mopper

Hi folks!

Well, this one's really hot off the smoker. Made it last night and  can't wait to share. It turned out so good I even forgot to take some decent pics [​IMG]

I like trying out different ideas for brines and injection solutions, and have done quite a lot of those. But let me tell you - this one does take them all! Brown stock is, simply said, a reduced beef stock, quite a basic liquid in all professional kitchens. A friend of mine, chef of one of Israeli top restaurants, gave me a brilliant idea how I can adapt it for a "home use", so here's both the basic recipe and a way to store it, safely, for quite a period of time.

The below is for a bit over 1/2 gallon of the stock. 
    • 3-4 lb beef bones (preferably - marrow)
    • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
    • a bit less than gallon of cold water - acc. to my calculations (and I count in metric here) it's about 0.8 gallon [​IMG]
    • 4 tbsp onion, roughly chopped
    • 2 tbsp celery, roughly chopped
    • 1 carrot, roughly chopped
    • 1 tsp tomato paste
    • 1 oz bacon or any other smoked meat, chopped
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 10-12 allspice berries
    In an oven safe pan brown the bones in the oven preheated to about 450F. Then - add the veggies to the same pan, drizzle with the oil and continue browning for another 10-15 min. Finally, spoon the tomato paste over and put it back in the oven for another 10 min.

Move the whole content of the pan to a saucepan, add the water and the spices, bring to a boil, then - reduce the heat and cook for another 4-5 hours, until reduced to 1/2 gallon. From time to time, skim the stock. 

Once done, strain the stock through a fine mesh, and here comes that brilliant idea I mentioned. I pour the stock into ice cube trays and freeze them. Then wrap with a plastic wrap and, stored frozen, it can last for couple of months.

So, now to the injection solution... For 2 turkey thighs I used 6 cubes of my stock, 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce and about 1 cup of water. Injected it all over the meat, and then smoked for 4 hours on 225F, on peach and pecan wood, 50-50. IT - 165F.

Just look at how juicy they turned out!

Cheers!

Ed

2. knifebld

knifebld Smoking Fanatic

Awesome post Ed....that looks incredibly moist. Stock injection is a little too labour intensive for me...but I would be a guest at your house any day!!

3. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks real good and I'm a big fan of turkey, although not much on the legs for some reason.....Willie

4. Looks darn yummy.  I love me some Turkey!!! 

5. edward36

edward36 Meat Mopper

Thanks!

But come on...  you can inject it with any other liquid :)... It's 10 min work, really, and worth it!

Ed

6. edward36

edward36 Meat Mopper

Thanks, Willie!

Oh and... these are thighs, mind you :) :) :) 

To me - the most tasty part of the turkey.

Ed

7. edward36

edward36 Meat Mopper

Thanks!!!

Ed

8. knifebld

knifebld Smoking Fanatic

Oh for sure I would inject it with something simple...but gonna have to wait for my invite before I try your brown stock injection. Hope you are staying safe. 

9. edward36

edward36 Meat Mopper

Any time, mate :)

Just lemme know when you're in the neighborhood :)

10. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great job .[​IMG]  . Like , Willie , though , I'm not much on Turkeylegs...I like Chicken legs. [​IMG]

11. edward36

edward36 Meat Mopper

Thanks! :)

But, same as for Willie... that's THIGHS, not legs :). Legs are dry and chewy. Thighs are ... well, they are turkey thighs! :)

Ed