Yet another smoked turkey thigh - brown stock injected

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edward36

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 3, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Hi folks!

Well, this one's really hot off the smoker. Made it last night and  can't wait to share. It turned out so good I even forgot to take some decent pics 
icon_redface.gif

I like trying out different ideas for brines and injection solutions, and have done quite a lot of those. But let me tell you - this one does take them all! Brown stock is, simply said, a reduced beef stock, quite a basic liquid in all professional kitchens. A friend of mine, chef of one of Israeli top restaurants, gave me a brilliant idea how I can adapt it for a "home use", so here's both the basic recipe and a way to store it, safely, for quite a period of time.

The below is for a bit over 1/2 gallon of the stock. 
  • 3-4 lb beef bones (preferably - marrow)
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • a bit less than gallon of cold water - acc. to my calculations (and I count in metric here) it's about 0.8 gallon 
    icon_wink.gif
  • 4 tbsp onion, roughly chopped
  • 2 tbsp celery, roughly chopped
  • 1 carrot, roughly chopped
  • 1 tsp tomato paste
  • 1 oz bacon or any other smoked meat, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 10-12 allspice berries
In an oven safe pan brown the bones in the oven preheated to about 450F. Then - add the veggies to the same pan, drizzle with the oil and continue browning for another 10-15 min. Finally, spoon the tomato paste over and put it back in the oven for another 10 min.

Move the whole content of the pan to a saucepan, add the water and the spices, bring to a boil, then - reduce the heat and cook for another 4-5 hours, until reduced to 1/2 gallon. From time to time, skim the stock. 

Once done, strain the stock through a fine mesh, and here comes that brilliant idea I mentioned. I pour the stock into ice cube trays and freeze them. Then wrap with a plastic wrap and, stored frozen, it can last for couple of months.

So, now to the injection solution... For 2 turkey thighs I used 6 cubes of my stock, 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce and about 1 cup of water. Injected it all over the meat, and then smoked for 4 hours on 225F, on peach and pecan wood, 50-50. IT - 165F.

Just look at how juicy they turned out!

Cheers!

Ed

Awesome post Ed....that looks incredibly moist. Stock injection is a little too labour intensive for me...but I would be a guest at your house any day!!

Awesome post Ed....that looks incredibly moist. Stock injection is a little too labour intensive for me...but I would be a guest at your house any day!!
Thanks!

But come on...  you can inject it with any other liquid :)... It's 10 min work, really, and worth it!

Ed

Thanks!

But come on...  you can inject it with any other liquid :)... It's 10 min work, really, and worth it!

Ed
Oh for sure I would inject it with something simple...but gonna have to wait for my invite before I try your brown stock injection. Hope you are staying safe. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky