yes cold smoker attachment question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fireman43

Original poster
Feb 27, 2021
Ive had a mes30 for probably 20 years. Several years ago I got a mes cold smoker attachment because I couldn't get enough smoke out of the smokers own tray. I always loaded it full of wood chips, turned it on and left it on, I always liked the flavors I got. After researching here on the forums Ive learned doing it my old way produces to harsh of a white smoke. So to those who have had the cold smoker attachment, what is the best way to use it: (1)turn it on, let the wood chips get started, then turn it off and let them smolder? (2) use pellets in it? (3) can you use the anmps tube or 5x8 tray in it? I have both, never tried them. I don't think the tray would fit even if I turned the mes smoker sideways. but the tube would fit if left standing vertical. Can the tube be used vertical? (4) should I just abandon the mes attachment and use the mailbox mod? thanks for the help, I think we are all always trying to find ways to step our game up, Lots of great info in here.

I had a MES 30 and used the cold smoker attachment and it worked great. I would get smoker to temp. Then turn on the cold smoker and it would run the entire time I smoking. Never had harsh smoke just a nice thin blue line :) The only issue I would run into was the chips would get struck in chimney due to build up from the smoke and residue from the fruit wood (apple chips) just used a long screw driver or stick to tap down when needed. Keep the lid closed and the cap on the chimney otherwise it will smoke up.

Reactions: joerych
I attached mine to a dimmer and reduce the power to about 30% once it started smoking. I also find it works better with larger chips like the ones from Wester, Weber, etc. The chips from Smokehouse are too fine and tend to stick in the chute more.

I start with the Amnts tube with pellets inside the smoker for the first hour of cooking.
I also added a dimmer to my cold smoke attachment and used it similar to bregent bregent . Then I read on this forum that someone also read that if you turn it on until smoke starts to produce, then turn it off, you get cleaner smoke. Then turn on again after an hour or longer. I keep it on for 30 minutes, then off for 1 hour or so. But I also use the Amnts tube with pellets inside my MES 40 Gen 1, bottom left side and top vent wide open. All suggestions gotten here. I use smaller chips to get the cold smoke attachment started, then gradually add weber chunks that I cut up into 1" pieces so they fit well inside the smoker receptacle.
The main reason I use both is I can use 2 different wood flavorings at once, or use both chips and pellets of the same flavor, depending what I'm smoking. It makes sense that the less time the cold smoke attachment is running on, the longer it's lifespan will be. My first one which I left on for many hours at a time last 5 years, then shorted out. That was before I found the helpful info here. Now I'm into the 2nd year on my current one.

All great answers, thanks so much. the other day I did a test run of running the cold smoker long enough to light the chips then turn it off - it did continue to smolder the chips and they all burned. Ive noticed the same thing with wood chips- there is definitely an ideal size that works best and you do have to make sure they are pushed down with a screwdriver at times.

I am in the process now of smoking a spatchcock chicken with pellets in the amazen 12" tube sitting in the cold smoker assembly where the original chip holder goes and heating element not turned on. I lit the tube like normal from the top, it sits on a slight angle not laying flat like the directions say.... so for it seems to be smoking well. I left the top lid barely cracked, it seemed to get a bit of a better draft that way and its smoked for 2.5 hours so far. that's encouraging.

Got about an hour left to see what kind of smoke flavor it produced vs the way I was doing it with chips.

All great answers, thanks so much. the other day I did a test run of running the cold smoker long enough to light the chips then turn it off - it did continue to smolder the chips and they all burned. Ive noticed the same thing with wood chips- there is definitely an ideal size that works best and you do have to make sure they are pushed down with a screwdriver at times.

I am in the process now of smoking a spatchcock chicken with pellets in the amazen 12" tube sitting in the cold smoker assembly where the original chip holder goes and heating element not turned on. I lit the tube like normal from the top, it sits on a slight angle not laying flat like the directions say.... so for it seems to be smoking well. I left the top lid barely cracked, it seemed to get a bit of a better draft that way and its smoked for 2.5 hours so far. that's encouraging.

Got about an hour left to see what kind of smoke flavor it produced vs the way I was doing it with chips.
On shorter timed cooks, I use only the Amazen 12" tube with pellets. But I only use it inside my MES. Light with torch til it gets going, etc. I always leave the top vent wide open. Tube produces a lot of smoke on it's own.

Reactions: fireman43
The tube in the mes cold smoker was the perfect amount of smoke for a spatchcock chicken, spot on great. 250deg @3 hours. But I don’t think it will be nearly enough for a butt.
I had the top vent wide open and had about a 6” stack on top of the vent hole as I read here that improves the draft....

On another note my screen at the bottom of the cold smoker chip holder has disintegrated. What has been used to replace that?

On another note my screen at the bottom of the cold smoker chip holder has disintegrated. What has been used to replace that?
Not sure, I'm still on my original screen. You can get screen material and cut a piece to replace the old one. If the original frame is still good you can attach new screen material to that. Home Depot probably has that stuff. Just not sure which screen to get to withstand the heat produced. Glad the Chicken worked out.

Reactions: fireman43
Ive had a mes30 for probably 20 years. Several years ago I got a mes cold smoker attachment because I couldn't get enough smoke out of the smokers own tray. I always loaded it full of wood chips, turned it on and left it on, I always liked the flavors I got. After researching here on the forums Ive learned doing it my old way produces to harsh of a white smoke. So to those who have had the cold smoker attachment, what is the best way to use it: (1)turn it on, let the wood chips get started, then turn it off and let them smolder? (2) use pellets in it? (3) can you use the anmps tube or 5x8 tray in it? I have both, never tried them. I don't think the tray would fit even if I turned the mes smoker sideways. but the tube would fit if left standing vertical. Can the tube be used vertical? (4) should I just abandon the mes attachment and use the mailbox mod? thanks for the help, I think we are all always trying to find ways to step our game up, Lots of great info in here.
If you "always liked the flavors" you got, why worry about the the posts regarding harsh white smoke? Not being critical but curious!

Maybe the other people are correct and I’m wrong about the smoke and the flavor that is better. Never know unless I try so I asked for some ideas about it.

I understand. I belong to several forums and what I have learned over the years is that some folks like a weak smoke profile, some a moderate, and some a heavy strong flavor. All a matter of taste and preference. This article might interest you:

Thanks I’ll check it out. No matter how long you’ve been smoking there’s always something to learn

Go with the mailbox. You'll never need to turn on your smoker at all. Just pipe a mailbox to the chiploader hole. Put a Amazen tray or tube in the mailbox. All done.

Attachments

• 20210904_150239.jpg
    20210904_150239.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 110
When I was smoking sausage, I was turning the smoker itself on and off to try to regulate the temp. Sausage ended up coming out fine. When I had the cold smoker on by itself, it would get too cold, down to 129 and I was trying to keep it at 180.

bbqjeff,
What smoker are you using? Electric? Brand name/model? For me, cold smoking is using no heat at all. 180 degrees reminds me of hot smoking fish.

Reactions: MJB05615
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky