Yellow brick road

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

glgaglro

Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
Hello all. I'm pretty much a newbie to smoking. Live in Lenexa KS which is a suburb of Kansas City. As many of you probably know, BBQ is a staple here in and around Kansas City. I've always grilled out in the summer on my weber grill, but just this past xmas my wife got me a brinkman charcoal smoker...so I've been trying it out a little.

So far I've tried smoking chicken (both the beer can recipe as well as plain) and turned out great. I've also done ribs -backs and spares...these have also turned out pretty good. This weekend I think I went a little over my head by trying to smoke a brisket....it turned out a little (actually, a lot) on the dry side.

Anyway, welcome from Kansas. :)

Howdy glgaglro-
Welcome to SMF, this is a great place to learn the art of smoking so never feel shy about asking questions. I've never done a brisket so I can't offer any advice on that front but there are a lot of people here who can get you on the right track. Glad you found us and hope to hear from you in other posts.

Welcome to the family glgaglro. You might want to try a pork butt, they are more forgiving than a beef brisket. One of the secrets to a nice brisket is to mop/spray during the smoke and add a little of the mop/spray to the meat when you wrap it in foil. Check out the Beef Forum and follow the brisket threads.

Hello Glgaglro
I want to welcome yo to the SMF. The Brinkmann or ECB that you have is a good smoker. Their are a few modifications that can be made to make it a better smoker. One mod is to get better acess to the firepan and to get better air flow also. I can not remember where I found website that explains them, but all I did is did a search on ECB Mods on MSN and found it. If you have any questions I will try to help you, BTW I improved on those mods and outlined them in the Charcole Smoker section under ECB Mods--obvious Improvement. Check it out. I would be glad to help.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky