YABF (yet another brisket failure)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have found no difference between 225 vs. 275 except the cook time is obviously shorter. I always cook fat cap down and always 250-275 in my lang. You should try the same as the heat source is at the bottom of your smoker. Smoke until you like the bark, which will probably be 5-6 hours until the bark is firm. Use foil to wrap. I find butcher paper to be a pain. At this point I separate the point and the flat. I like to wrap them separate because the point will render more fat when it's by itself. Set both on the foil and slowly pour concentrated campbell's beef broth over it and wrap tight. Back on until about 190 and start checking every 15 minutes or so with a round tooth pick. When it slides like butter in the thickest part of the flat it is done. Let cool out of the foil for about 20 minutes and then back in foil for the rest. Good luck! You got this!

Reactions: softmeat
A select brisket can be made good, but the window for it being right in very very small.
wow thanks for all the great info, all of you! I wanted to post an update. I took the leftover I had, and put it in the oven at 250, wrapped in celophane and then wrapped in BP. I brought it up to 205. I have to say it was SLIGHTLY juicier than the first run! Im guessing I didnt cook it long enough and it was absolutely way more tender too. Almost too tender, it was falling apart. The flavor was amazing though.
Lesson learned from this, and what to do going forward:
Put it in a pan, trim less fat, put fat side up, and check for tenderness, not temperature! Now I cant wait for my next one!

Reactions: tallbm
The only time I had a bad brisket is when I trimmed to much fat off. I cut off the external hard fat. What ever is inside the meat I leave. Fat cap about 1/4 or a little more I leave. Other side just a little trim here and there. You need fat for juiciness. You can remove extra fat when it's on your plate. I like the fat cap on the side that gets the most heat. So if my for is below, fat cap down. Heat from the side, fat cap up.

The only time I had a bad brisket is when I trimmed to much fat off. I cut off the external hard fat. What ever is inside the meat I leave. Fat cap about 1/4 or a little more I leave. Other side just a little trim here and there. You need fat for juiciness. You can remove extra fat when it's on your plate. I like the fat cap on the side that gets the most heat. So if my for is below, fat cap down. Heat from the side, fat cap up.
I think you just nailed everything I need to do. Cut less fat, fat cap down (mine is bottom heat) and just trim on my plate!

Reactions: joetee
Putting a wrapped done (tender to probe) brisket right into to storage (cooler with towels) from the smoker will allow the meat to continue cooking, ie this can cause it to become overcooked. If the brisket is done & tender I'll bring it in, place on the counter, open the wrap and let it sit there for 15 minutes in order to stop the cooking. At that point, it's rewrapped and put in the cooler. The real key is knowing the probe feel for when it's done & tender. I usually describe it as running a probe into a jar of peanut butter.

Putting a wrapped done (tender to probe) brisket right into to storage (cooler with towels) from the smoker will allow the meat to continue cooking, ie this can cause it to become overcooked. If the brisket is done & tender I'll bring it in, place on the counter, open the wrap and let it sit there for 15 minutes in order to stop the cooking. At that point, it's rewrapped and put in the cooler. The real key is knowing the probe feel for when it's done & tender. I usually describe it as running a probe into a jar of peanut butter.
Yup had this happen last time I did a brisket. I wrap in butcher paper when cooking but after its done I put foil around the butcher paper and put in a cooler with towels (the foil is just to keep juices contained, makes clean up easier). Anyways when I took it out of the cooler 2 hours later it was juicy still but as I sliced it the slices just disintegrated. I honestly didn't get one good slice off it. Ended up with an entire shredded brisket. It was still good...goes good in eggs...but definitely gona let it cool on the counter first next time for a little before putting in the cooler.

Reactions: joetee
Hi all. Been a member here for quite some time, and have done a lot of reading here and other places. So believe me, asking this isnt on a whim its after a lot of reading and trial/error.
In a nutshell, my briskets are coming out amazingly flavorful but amazingly dry and I cant seem to fix that. Heres my process:

I have an electric smoker (looks like a small fridge). My last brisket was about 9 pounds trimmed up. I trimmed it well on the bottom and kept the fat cap to about 1/4", rubbed it in olive oil then a liberal coating of course black pepper, salt and garlic powder. Sometimes a little cayenne for heat but not this time.

I preheat the smoker to 250F, and toss in the brisket, fat cap up. In goes my wireless thermometer into the middle. Not the thickest part, not the thinnest part, but somewhat of an average. I have calibrated the thermometer previously so its accurate.

Heat it to the stall temp about 165, take it out, wrap it in butchers paper and put it back in, fat cap up. I then let it go to about 205 internal temp. I then keep it wrapped in the BP and put it in a cooler for anywhere between 30-60 minutes, while Im making the rest of the meal. When I take it out, its some of the best tasting jerky ever. hahaha. OK not quite that dry but damn close it seems. Its literally hard to even swallow its so dry.

What Ive tried to fix this:
Injecting it
Lower temp, longer cook
higher temp, shorter cook
Lower internal temp before taking it out.

I generally dont spray it (I have found it negatively affects the bark), and I do have a dish of water in there the whole time. Sometimes I use beef broth.

My cooks have been anywhere from 7-13 hours for similar sized briskets with all the variations Ive tried yet all of them seem dry. I have read (here in fact!) that dry means it hasnt been cooked long enough but for some reason that is counter to my brains thinking.

Flavor is a 10, smoke ring is a 10, Bark is a 9-10 every time. Its just too damn dry. ANY tips most appreciated!!

Do yourself a favor and go to the link below and buy the Beast.

8FEB750E-1850-402F-865E-BB2634B7B7D1.png

Forget all that other nonsense you’re doing.

Rub your brisket down with Kosher salt and pepper 24 hours BEFORE you put it on the smoker. Salt makes the meat tender. Let it dry brine in the fridge for 24 hours.

Buy a few cans of beef broth so you always have some on hand. Inject your brisket after you rub it down about 2 hours before you put it on the smoker. 1 oz broth injection per pound.

Don’t mess with garlic or anything else. Kosher salt and black pepper are all you need for a rub. Texas Style is amazing flavor.

Set your temp for 235° and let it go until it hits 150° - 170°. Somewhere in that temp range it will STALL. Once it stalls take it out and wrap it tightly in a double layer of heavy duty foil and put it back in. At this point you can also move it to the oven at 225° with a digital thermometer in and let it go until it hits 203° (but periodically check on it with a knife). It should come out like butter.

My first attempt
01FEF48D-7374-4FE6-B457-24CD960A6D6A.jpeg

6B51A01B-23B1-4FCF-B35E-2F1DD3A6C530.jpeg

D6595B6C-898E-4710-AA49-F04E38811544.jpeg

My second attempt went badly because my fire was way too hot and it dried it out too fast.

Feel free to message if you have questions.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky