Wussface status confirmed!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012

Temps were supposed to be around 35* with clear blue skies, and I just couldn't help myself. Picked up this yard bird on Friday hoping the weather dude was correct. Heck ya, he was spot on. So I broke out the spinner on Saturday for its inaugural run. The spinner worked as advertised, but the pitmaster - well lets just say there is room for improvement.

The bird:
DSC04864.JPG

The spinner:
DSC04867.JPG

The Beer pole. It's also running juice to the spinner.
DSC04865.JPG

Bird is the word!!!
DSC04870.JPG

After two beers:
DSC04872.JPG

Well at this point things started going south or north you decide. The outside temps started dropping quickly, and the kettle followed suit. So I made the executive decision to finish it in the oven.

Tossed the bird into a 425* oven to finish, and holy smokes was it good.
DSC04880.JPG

Man was it juicy:
DSC04884.JPG

All sliced up and one place to go:
DSC04886.JPG

I still have a lot to learn with the spinner, and for a first try I was very pleased. My main problem was that I didn't have the counter weight set properly and it wound up pulling the rod out of the motor a few times. Second, fire management. I wanted to go lidless, but I couldn't with the wind and only firing up one charcoal basket. I started with briquettes and quickly went to adding lump. The lump worked better, but still didn't keep the heat up. Finally I'm not going to spin with temps below 40*. Live and learn I say, but the chicken was most excellent.

Thanks for staying with me

Chris

Last edited:
Fantastic cook Chris. Hell yeah. And the oven is exactly where I would have gone there. Nicely done sir.
Thanks Edge, It was either finish in the oven or freeze my b___s off.

Chris

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I blame the weatherman, in two months it would have been perfect outside.
Appreciate it Tom, but the weather dude was basically spot on. I was just getting antsy with the spinner. It's been sitting in a box since before Christmas and I was Jones'in to use it.

Chris

Reactions: bigfurmn

Temps were supposed to be around 35* with clear blue skies, and I just couldn't help myself. Picked up this yard bird on Friday hoping the weather dude was correct. Heck ya, he was spot on. So I broke out the spinner on Saturday for its inaugural run. The spinner worked as advertised, but the pitmaster - well lets just say there is room for improvement.

The bird:
View attachment 662467
The spinner:
View attachment 662468

The Beer pole. It's also running juice to the spinner.
View attachment 662476

Bird is the word!!!
View attachment 662477

After two beers:
View attachment 662478
Well at this point things started going south or north you decide. The outside temps started dropping quickly, and the kettle followed suit. So I made the executive decision to finish it in the oven.

Tossed the bird into a 425* oven to finish, and holy smokes was it good.
View attachment 662480
Man was it juicy:
View attachment 662481
All sliced up and one place to go:
View attachment 662483

I still have a lot to learn with the spinner, and for a first try I was very pleased. My main problem was that I didn't have the counter weight set properly and it wound up pulling the rod out of the motor a few times. Second, fire management. I wanted to go lidless, but I couldn't with the wind and only firing up one charcoal basket. I started with briquettes and quickly went to adding lump. The lump worked better, but still didn't keep the heat up. Finally I'm not going to spin with temps below 40*. Live and learn I say, but the chicken was most excellent.

Thanks for staying with me

Chris

Live and learn! You ended up with a tasty meal 👍

Reactions: gmc2003
Appreciate it Tom, but the weather dude was basically spot on. I was just getting antsy with the spinner. It's been sitting in a box since before Christmas and I was Jones'in to use it.

Chris
since Christmas and you just broke it out? That is stronger will than I have. Full credit to you for taking a chance and going for it.

Live and learn! You ended up with a tasty meal 👍
Thanks WR, I'll eventually get the hang of the spinner. The chicken was hit the spot for sure

Chris

since Christmas and you just broke it out? That is stronger will than I have. Full credit to you for taking a chance and going for it.
My old bones don't function so well in the colder temps anymore, and the wife was bugging me for ideas for a Christmas present.

Reactions: bigfurmn
Looks incredible to me! Really juicy! Doesn’t seem like you have too much more tweaking to go! Awesome spin!

Yahtzee! Good looking bird for the inaugural cook. I did one in the oven yesterday as it was just crappy and raining outside. I'm sure we'll see more fine foods come off the spinner.

It's never too cold for beer, but it can be too cold to Q. I agree the oven saved the day this time.

Chris
Concur. Beer is like bacon. It makes everything better.

Looks great, Chris! You did good. When things don't go as planned/hoped, the plans have to be changed...adapt and overcome.

Am I seeing a new appendage on the beer pole?

By the way, I can't stand that song and now it's stuck in my head...:emoji_laughing:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky