WSM Smoked 1/2 Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bone player

Original poster
Bought a 1/2 turkey which weighed in at about 11 lbs. Brined in 50/50 salt and sugar.

Rubbed with a mixture of Kosher salt, light brown sugar, dried minced garlic and onion, and chili powder.

Smoked on 22.5 WSM.  With poultry I've had better results not using water so I foiled the water pan.  Basted with butter.

Smoked with hickory and pecan at about 280 degrees.  With about an hour to go, basted with butter again.

Even with light rain all afternoon, the WSM held the temperature steady throughout the cook.

Nice and juicy and ready to eat.

Fine job, skin looks outstanding. Nice pics.
thumb1%20copy.gif

Another good looking turkey courtesy of the WSM - did four of them myself recently!

Where do you get a half a turkey?
33.gif

Good job,

Bill

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments.  

The 1/2 turkey came from our local supermarket.  They don't always have them but I check every time I'm there. The butchers do a nice job to get a clean cut down the backbone and the turkey is usually on sale (this was $.99/pound, which is good for around here).  

Really nice looking turkey! Wish our butchers did halves around here. If they did we'd be smoking one every month! Does give me an Idea for next years thanksgiving birds though!

I have never seen a half turkey, but will have to start asking around the stores. A lot of times a whole turkey is to much.

Pics look darn good! Great color.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky