WSM door question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hawtsauc3

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 27, 2016
hi all, ecb owner that’s about to buy a WSM. How’s the door work on these exactly? Every demo models always been busted and the one thing I did like with the ECB was that the door was simple. Sadly the rest of ECB is a pain so I’m looking forward to set and forget

Sadly, the WSM doors typically leaks pretty badly. My is not broken, but it took several cooks for it to seal up properly. I wouldn't let that shy you away from buying one though. They are great smokers. I'm smoking salt in mine as we speak!

The WSM door is it's achilles heel. Some folks have issues with fit and others with it breaking. So far I haven't experienced either issue. I rarely open the door so it basically just sits in place. I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Chris

Honestly I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s going to set and forget smoker and perform well regardless of whether you keep the stock door or seal/upgrade it. Only reason I’d upgrade/seal the door would be for cosmetic reasons. I used to own a 22 wsm and it performed flawlessly as is.

Reactions: TomCrump
hi all, ecb owner that’s about to buy a WSM. How’s the door work on these exactly? Every demo models always been busted and the one thing I did like with the ECB was that the door was simple. Sadly the rest of ECB is a pain so I’m looking forward to set and forget

I picked up a replacement door and latch after about 18 months with my WSM. I won’t say it’s airtight, but I will day it was better enough to make it worth the $65.

https://www.cajunbandit.com/Stainless-Steel-Smoker-Door-With-Latch-Fits-22-5-p/22dlb.htm

You have to play around with the factory door a little, but you can shape it very easily to get a good fit. I bought a Cajun Bandit door for my 22.5 & it leaked just as much as the factory one did. So I messed with the factory one and got it to fit better than the Cajun Bandit door & sold the CB door to a friend of mine that just wanted it cause they do look pretty cool.
Al

Reactions: the dood
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky