WSM and ribs quantity

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yep, Johnny is spot on....

Two loads should be no problem at 225* in a WSM (either the 18.5" or the 22.5" model).  I foiled mine for a while when I first started smoking, but like Johnny said, at a low temp in a WSM it's really not necessary IMO.  Never had a problem with the sauce running off either.  Guess it depends on how thick you make your sauce or mop.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll have to dig it up, but one of the best recipes I tried for foiling ribs involved the use of pineapple juice and balsamic vinegar in the foil stage. Have not made it in a year or two, but it was probably the best foiled ribs I have had.  Just need to remember where I put the PDF file on the PC (two hard drives ago).

update!  I found the recipe......   It was from Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson's BBQ fame:

Apricot-Pineapple Sweet Baby Back Ribs

(quantities are for two racks at about 2 pounds each - Also works fine on St Louis style ribs)

Dry Rub
  • 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
  • 4 teaspoons garlic salt
  • 4 teaspoons chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Rib Liquid Seasoning (for foil stage)
  • 1/2 cup pineapple juice
  • 1/2 cup apricot nectar
  • 1 tablespoon Rib Dry Rub (see above)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
Sweet BBQ Glaze
  • 1 1/4 cups premium tomato-based barbecue sauce (I used KC Masterpiece original when I made this)
  • 1/4 cup honey
Directions:
  1. Remove thin membrane from back of each slab by slicing into it and then pulling it off. (This will make ribs more tender.) Generously apply Rib Dry Rub on both sides of ribs, pressing gently to adhere.
  2. Light one side of grill, heating to 250° (low) heat; leave other side unlit. Place slabs, meat sides up, over unlit side, and grill, covered with grill lid, 2 hours and 15 minutes, maintaining temperature inside grill between 225° and 250°.  (I ran mine at 225)
  3. Remove slabs from grill. Place each slab, meat side down, on a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil. (Foil should be large enough to completely wrap slab.) Pour 1/2 cup of Rib Liquid Seasoning over each slab. Tightly wrap each slab in foil. Return slabs to unlit side of grill. Grill, covered with grill lid, 1 hour.
  4. Remove slabs; unwrap and discard foil. Brush Sweet Barbecue Glaze on both sides of slabs. Grill slabs, covered with grill lid, on unlit side of grill 15 minutes or until caramelized.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky