WSM 22 quwstion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tp77

Original poster
Mar 16, 2017
Hello. Just bought one of these, seasoned it a few times per the Soo method and after my first cook noticed the lid vent was charred up pretty good. I'm coming from an offset so just making sure this is ok? Seemed odd to go from silver to dark brown after one normal cook.

Yes the vent cover will discolor. When smoking with your WSM always leave the top vent in the lid wide open. You should be able to control temps with the three lower vents.

Silver?

The inside of the smoker is painted with dark enamel just like the outside, don't worry about it just keep cooking. I don't know what Harry says as far as seasoning but Weber says all you need to do is wipe it down and start cooking. My WSM is coated black with a good 100+ cooks on it. 

Smoke on 
thumb1.gif

I get the brown coating too. It usually shows up when there's humidity. I assumed it was some oxidation even though the enamel is new. I just rub on it with wadded newspaper and hit it with a wet washcloth before a cook.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky