WSM 22 - Door ajar?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

StiemertC

Original poster
Jun 27, 2018
Hello!

Super excited to be joining this forum and starting on my meat smoking journey!!

I just purchased the WSM 22" and the door is slightly ajar, doesn't fit tightly. The salesperson assured me that this is normal, due to the cut of the door not being the same as the cut of the unit.

Does anyone have advice for me? This was the floor model, want to make sure this is normal before I can no longer return it.

Thank you so much for any advice!

Chris

You can shape it with your thigh, too. Weber sent me a new one because the one I received was basically flat. It takes weeks though, to receive the one they send, so I played with the old one and got it to fit better. I'm still using the original and have an extra door.

6 months later I bought the $25 Nomex gasket kit off Amazon. Sealed it up nicely.

Great thanks! I just got off the phone with Weber and they said if you can stick your finger in it then it warrants replacement, if not then it's within the operating parameters.... so i guess I'll play with it a bit and then also get the nomex gasket kit thank you!

If you get the gasket kit, it is better to get it when it's new. Cleaning 6 months of buildup took an hour. The gasket kit 15 minutes.

The WSM will seal up with use, but mine was also out of round so I needed the kit.

...mine was a little off too...used a piece of cardboard and some glue...cost...about a nickel...
Red

Great thanks! I just got off the phone with Weber and they said if you can stick your finger in it then it warrants replacement, if not then it's within the operating parameters.... so i guess I'll play with it a bit and then also get the nomex gasket kit thank you!
If you can't stick your finger in the gap it doesn't warrant replacement? A gap that big will make temp control difficult. I thought weber CS was better.

...it is better than that...I told them it was messed up...took 3 days to get here...
Red

I wouldn’t be happy with that answer at all. Anything that’s letting a ton of smoke and heat out should warrant a replacement. I got lucky when I got mine and barely had to shape it as it was already formed nicely. I am still looking at getting the bandit door to replace it.

I wouldn’t be happy with that answer at all. Anything that’s letting a ton of smoke and heat out should warrant a replacement. I got lucky when I got mine and barely had to shape it as it was already formed nicely. I am still looking at getting the bandit door to replace it.
I agree with this statement. And I did replace my door with the bandit stainless steel door. Well worth it.

Reactions: Geebs
39E64665-C58F-45F6-8FCD-AE54B60CCC7F.jpeg
9D8408D5-5074-435A-A358-BBE8049490E2.jpeg
DC9652ED-08A8-4B16-B113-338023C06EDE.jpeg
I bended it a bit and now fits pretty well- still going to attach the gasket.

Any recommendations on the easiest types of recipes to start with for someone with zero experience?

Nice job on the door!

Easy recipes? Meat loaf is great and very easy. You can do it in a pan and it can take HUGE temp swings while you get your settings dialed in.

Any kind of chicken dark meat works well. Boneless skinless thighs are simple. If you do skin on, keep the chamber temp over 300F for crispy skin.

Brats, or any kind of sausage is fun and fast.

If you're feeling ambitious, try "Pepper Stout Beef" (see below. You can leave out the jalapenos if so inclined)

Don't buy into the Kingsford Koolaid. They work, but are less dense and can be more unsteady. Home Depot Embers, Royal Oak Ridge, or WalMart Expert Grill (all three are the exact same stuff, actually), is a denser briquette and will hold temps for hours.

Pepper Stout Beef

Ingredients:
4 lbs chuck roast
Kosher Salt and pepper
Onion powder
Garlic powder
3 bell peppers. (I used 3. Red, Green and Yellow)
3 Jalapeños ( Can use fewer for less heat)
1 lg red onion
6 Garlic Cloves (Crushed)
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
12 oz bottle of Guinness Extra Stout

Directions:

1. Fire up the smoker to a medium level smoke 250-275°F.

2. Cover the chuck roast with SPOG. (Salt-Pepper-Onion powder-Garlic powder) (I use a 2-2-1-1 parts combination. Using teaspoons is a little light, tablespoons a little heavy. So I use Tablespoons and have some left over).

3. Smoke the roast for about 3 hours with hickory wood or until the internal temp hits 165°F.

4. When the roast is nearing the first target temperature cut up the peppers, onions, jalapeños and garlic. Add to an aluminum pan along with the Worcestershire Sauce and Guinness. Mix em up and let them wait for the meat.

5. At 165 degrees, its time to add the meat to the veg. Seal tightly with a double layer of HD aluminum foil.

6. Crank up the smoker, grill, or oven to 325°F and let go for about 3 hours.

7. After about 3 hours the meat should be fork tender and the veggies will be soft and juicy. Go ahead and shred the beef into the veggies and mix it up.

8. Once the meat and veggies are all mixed up, its time to put everything back uncovered in the 325°F smoker/grill/oven for about 30 minutes until the juice reduces by half. Or you can put it all in a Dutch Oven on the stove and reduce there, which is what I do.

9. After 30 minutes grab a ciabatta, tortilla, french roll or just a fork and go to town.

Congratulations on the new smoker. The door is the weak spot of the 22 and it appears you have fixed it. Your still going to see some leakage when you fire up your WSM - don't fret to much. It will eventually seal itself up. Also don't rely on the thermometer on the lid. It will probably be off by a few degrees one way or the other. It can be used as a guide to see if your temps are rising or lowering. For a first cook I would say meatloaf if you like it. It's quick and hard to screw up. If you have time a butt is also good. Very forgiving and can take the larger temp. swings you may experience on your first smoke. Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

I almost forgot, welcome to the site.

Chris

+1 on the Cajun Bandit. My WSM 22 door was always a little off. The CB door is perfect and you can adjust the tension to get a real tight fit. Money well spent i my opinion. Much better and consistent temperature for me now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky