WSM 18 vs 22”

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingUPnorth

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 7, 2017
Michigan UP
After selling my Traeger I’ve decided to try out the WSM. The Traeger didn’t produce enough flavor for my taste. Ended up making a couple hundred bucks off it though. Now I’ve decided the WSM will be more flavor (not as easy) but easy enough to maintain heat. My question for the WSM owners. Should I go with 18 or 22”. I cook for a family of 5 sometimes couple butts and some sides. What is the charcoal consumption difference between the two? When I bought my MES30 I regretted not getting the 40 and hoping to not do that again. If charcoal consumption and maintaining heat is close to the same is go with the bigger if the two. Any input?

Reactions: JLeonard
Let your first regret influence your decision on this one.

If it were me I would go with the 22". You cannot make the 18" bigger if you need more space but you can scale down the 22 to suit your needs.

I have the 18 and honestly do not think the difference in charcoal consumption would be that much.

Good luck,

John

Its better to be too big rather too little, we pay the price on every thing else in life, houses cars boats ect, I don't think you would regret getting the 22. I know 1 day I will have a 22 as sometimes I cook 3-4 butts at a time and you can fit ribs on the 22 easier than the 18. pay once cry once is my motto

Reactions: SmokingUPnorth
My vote is for the 22". Both will do what your asking, but the 22" will make some smokes a tad easier. As for consumption - well the 22" will obviously use more then the 18", but you can shut the 22" down and snuff the coals - to be reused in your next cook.

Chris

Edit: remember charcoal is fairly cheap price wise, but space priceless when your cooking for a party and want to spend time with your company.

I had the same debate. It's just me and my wife, but we like leftovers. Went with the 22. Full packers and racks of ribs fit with no trimming for length.

The charcoal consumption is a toss aside. In a non-Covid year I can easily go through 400 lbs of charcoal in 12 months. The 18" would use like 300 lbs. 100 lbs of Royal Oak briquettes is like $18-$25.

Thanks everyone. 22” it is. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t up for any surprises

After selling my Traeger I’ve decided to try out the WSM. The Traeger didn’t produce enough flavor for my taste. Ended up making a couple hundred bucks off it though. Now I’ve decided the WSM will be more flavor (not as easy) but easy enough to maintain heat. My question for the WSM owners. Should I go with 18 or 22”. I cook for a family of 5 sometimes couple butts and some sides. What is the charcoal consumption difference between the two? When I bought my MES30 I regretted not getting the 40 and hoping to not do that again. If charcoal consumption and maintaining heat is close to the same is go with the bigger if the two. Any input?
Alittle late on this, looks like you made your decision. Good choice. I had the 18, upgraded to the 22. Glad I did. You won’t be disappointed.

I have an 18 and find it a good size, but it will not do large racks of ribs or a full brisket. I cook those on my traeger as it has more room. I stole the 18, but if I find a deal on a 22 I will upgrade.

I have the 18 wsm and have not had an issue. I've done a 15 pound brisket on the top rack. Yeah I had to shoe horn it but hey the brisket shrinks about 50 percent anyways so it was never an issue. I've done 6 pork butts at once. Yes ribs don't fit but I cut them in half and have done 5 racks in total with my rib rack. I've done 4 beer can chickens with plenty of space left over. Now of you are cooking for many then I would guess you can use the 22. I have a 22 weber master touch so if I want to do full racks of ribs and can do them there and fit all 5 racks and I can do larger brisket there as well.. I also have a drum smoker I made as well but really haven't used it.

Either way you will love whichever wsm you pick. They truly are awesome and easy to operate. Then after you will go through the whole water or sand debate that follows lol.

Cheers,
George

22” or regret sooner or later. The 18 is plenty of space most Of the time but watering it won’t make it grow. I started smoking with a gas grill thinking it would be easier and I needed a grill at that time as well. Then I found this great site and read about WSM and started with the 18” then there were a few times the extra space would of been nice so I bite the bullet and went with the 22”. Just stock up on charcoal on the holidays when it’s cheap.

Reactions: WhatMeWorry
A friend calls his 22" "fuel hog"

Hey. I run the 18 and it is fine for what I do. A whole uncut packer can be a bit large in the 18. And if you are doing the 5 butts and sided go bigger.
My 18 is super reliable using the guru digit. Last brisket cook was 16 hours and guessing used 12 pounds. I would not worry about how much fuel you’d use I’d you rely on the digiq. It won’t be a huge difference. Coal is relatively cheap in the scheme of things.

I was facing the same issue a few years back. A buddy at work told me he had the 22 and said the 18 would work 'most'
of the time. However, when you need that extra room, you'll kick yourself when you didn't have it. I got the 22 and have never regretted it. Another friend has a party every February and I bring 9 racks of ribs to it (need rib racks on both levels but they fit no problem). No way I could think of that with an 18....Same with doing chicken halves for a group. Figure this is a one time purchase, so go big and don't regret it. Buying an 18 and then deciding to upgrade will be a lot more expensive than just the 22, not to mention more aggravating. Of course, this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. : )

Reactions: fwbfig
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky